Mastering the Tricky Equation: How to Solve for T Without a Calculator

• Thread starter tedwillis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that involves solving an equation that stems from a differential equation. The equation that needs to be solved is 3t+100=4((9t^3+900t^2+30000t)/(3t+100)^2). The conversation also mentions the need for a fully worked solution without the use of calculators. The equation is eventually put into standard form and a solution is found. The conversation also suggests using rescaling and manipulating the equation to make it easier to solve.
tedwillis
Hi,

I need to solve this equation that stems from a differential equation, though that isn't really important. Here's the equation that needs to be solved for t:

3t+100=4((9t^3+900t^2+30000t)/(3t+100)…

I've tried myself and always seem to hit a dead end. Using a calculator, I know the answer is 100/3(2^2/3-1) or ~19.58, but can't find a way to get to this answer.

I should mention, I would like this in a fully worked solution if possible. The subject does not allow calculators.

Physics news on Phys.org
3t+100=4((9t^3+900t^2+30000t)/(3t+100)…
The three dots at the end of an equation usually means "and so on" - meaning to continue some sort of pattern. Is that what you meant here?
(there's also an extra bracket in there.)

Guessing "no" ... rewriting - you need t to satisfy the relation: $$(3t+100)^2 = 4(9t^3+900t^2+30000t)$$your first task (brute force) is to put the equation into standard form.

From the look of it, it is a cubic, so as many as three values of t may make this equation true. You should already know how to solve for the roots of a cubic.

Last edited:
Sorry, wrote the question wrong:
3t+100=4((9t^3+900t^2+30000t)/(3t+100)^2)

Last edited:
Here's some more info on the problem that may help:

x(t) is the amount of an element in a container

The original d.e:
$$dx/dt+6x/(100+3t)=3$$

100+3t=v, the total volume of liquid in a container over time. The max of this is 300.

Solving the d.e gives:
$$x(t)=(9t^3+900t^2+30000t)/(3t+100)^2)$$

Now, and this is where I am stuck, I have to find when the percentage of the element within the total liquid is ≥ 25%. This occurs when $$x/v=1/4$$, so $$3t+100=4x$$, hence:
$$3t+100=4((9t^3+900t^2+30000t)/(3t+100)^2)$$

Last edited:
Hmmm I get ##x(t)= c(3t-100)^2-3t+100## where c is the constant of integration.

But if you are still happy with yours - you still have a cubic.
Put it in standard form.

Simon Bridge said:
Hmmm I get ##x(t)= c(3t-100)^2-3t+100## where c is the constant of integration.

But if you are still happy with yours - you still have a cubic.
Put it in standard form.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention the intial vlaue is x(0)=0

So I guess this is what you mean by standard form:

$$9t^3+900t^2+30000t-1000000=0$$

tedwillis said:
Sorry, wrote the question wrong:
3t+100=4((9t^3+900t^2+30000t)/(3t+100)^2)

It is easier (and more insightful) to re-scale this: set t = 100s in the equation, to get
[tex] (3s+1)^3 = 12(3s^3 + 3s^2 + s). [/tex] It is easier to get high accuracy on a calculator when you do this, plus it is easier to manipulate, etc.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
It is easier (and more insightful) to re-scale this: set t = 100s in the equation, to get
[tex] (3s+1)^3 = 12(3s^3 + 3s^2 + s). [/tex] It is easier to get high accuracy on a calculator when you do this, plus it is easier to manipulate, etc.

RGV
Following Ray's suggestion, let u = 3s+1. so that [itex]\displaystyle s=\frac{u-1}{3}\ .[/itex]

That should make the algebra even cleaner.

tedwillis said:
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention the intial vlaue is x(0)=0
In which case, c=-1/100 ... have you checked your DE solution?

Sammy and Ray have good suggestions for making things clearer.
You can look up how to solve a cubic equation... and that was "standard form" yes.

Last edited:

1. What is a "tricky equation"?

A tricky equation is a mathematical problem that is difficult to solve due to its complexity or unconventional structure.

2. How do you approach solving a tricky equation?

The best approach to solving a tricky equation is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and use known mathematical principles and techniques to solve each part. It also helps to think creatively and try different approaches if one method does not work.

3. Are there any specific strategies or tips for solving tricky equations?

Yes, some strategies for solving tricky equations include looking for patterns, using substitution, and breaking down the equation into simpler forms. It is also important to carefully check your work and double-check any calculations.

4. Can technology or calculators help with solving tricky equations?

Yes, technology and calculators can be useful tools in solving tricky equations. They can help with complex calculations and graphing, and some calculators have built-in functions specifically for solving equations.

5. What if I still can't solve a tricky equation?

If you are having trouble solving a tricky equation, it is always helpful to seek assistance from a math teacher, tutor, or online resources. It is important to keep trying and not get discouraged, as solving tricky equations can be a challenging but rewarding experience.