Exponential Equations with Constraints: Finding the Sum of Two Exponents

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the problem involves finding 2^{x}+2^{y} for x and y satisfying x-y=2 and 2^{x}-2^{y}=6. Using substitution, we can simplify the equations and solve for the unknown variables, without the need for logarithms. The final solution involves substituting the values of x and y back into the original equation.
yoleven

Homework Statement

for x and y satisfying x-y=2 and 2[tex]^{x}[/tex]-2[tex]^{y}[/tex]=6
find 2[tex]^{x}[/tex]+2[tex]^{y}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

x-y=2 ; x=2+y
log[tex]_{2}[/tex] 2[tex]^{x}[/tex]-log[tex]_{2}[/tex]2[tex]^{y}[/tex]=log[tex]_{2}[/tex]6

log 6/log2=2.585

x-y=2.585 but this violates the intitial condition x-y=2

where am i going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to use logs.

x-y=2
x=y+2

2^(y+2) - 2^y = 6

I think you should be able to figure it out from that.

Yes, use substitution. Also
log2(a + b) [itex]\neq[/itex] log2a + log2b

I'm not seeing what to do. I see the substitution but then I don't know what to do.

Let's take
x - y = 2
x = y + 2

substitute into your equation

2y+2 - 2y = 6
(2y)(22) - 2y = 6
2y(4-1) = 6

You don't even have to solve for x and y explicitly.

thank you very much.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable appears in the exponent. It is commonly written in the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants.

2. How do you calculate the value of an exponential function?

To calculate the value of an exponential function, you can plug in the value of the independent variable into the function and solve for the output. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to graph the function and find the corresponding value.

3. What is the difference between an exponential function and a linear function?

The main difference between an exponential function and a linear function is that in an exponential function, the independent variable appears in the exponent, while in a linear function, the independent variable appears in the base. This results in a curved graph for an exponential function and a straight line graph for a linear function.

4. How are exponential functions used in real life?

Exponential functions are commonly used in finance, population growth, and radioactive decay. They can also be used to model the growth or decay of other quantities that exhibit exponential behavior, such as the spread of a disease or the decay of a medication in the body.

5. What is a tricky exponential question?

A tricky exponential question is typically a problem that requires you to use multiple concepts related to exponential functions, such as finding the equation of an exponential function given two points, or solving for the unknown variable in an exponential equation. These types of questions often require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.