Design of Concrete Structures: Solving a Tricky Frame Question from Past Exam

• Thread starter Bill92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, the conversation is about determining reactions for a concrete structures exam question. The process involved summing moments and forces to find By and Ay, but difficulty was encountered in determining the x reactions at A and B and the moment reaction at point A. A suggestion was made to use the equation (50*4)+(80*4)-(Vd*8) = 0 to find Vd, but it was cautioned that the fixed end moment at A must also be considered. It was recommended to break apart each member and use free body diagrams to find Ax and the FEM at A, as well as knowing the values for Dx and Dy.
Bill92
Hi the following question is from a previous exam for the subject Design of concrete structures, just wondering if I can get any pointers as I was not able to find the reactions.

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the process you went through to try to determine Ra and Rd? The exercise is not that difficult so I think you may be tripping yourself up somewhere.

I summed the moments at point A making the UDL into an EPL to find By, then summed the forces in the y direction to find Ay. Pretty sure that part is right but I was unable to determine the x reactions at A and B as well as the moment reaction at point A.

If I was to say (50*4)+(80*4)-(Vd*8) = 0 .'. Vd = ? Would that point you in the write direction? Or have i misunderstood your process?

Careful, not that simple, let's not forget the fixed end moment at A, without which this frame would collapse. It must enter into the equations when summing moments. It is best to break apart each member in a free body diagrams of each. Note that internal pins cannot support or transfer any moments, they only can support or transfer forces. Note also that CD is a 2-force member, and as such, it can support vertical forces only directed along the axis of CD. Bill, I believe you have calculated By and Ay correctly, although you don't state your results, so I can't be sure. Now find Ax and the FEM at A, and of course you know what Dx and Dy are, right?

1. What are the key factors to consider when designing a concrete structure?

When designing a concrete structure, it is important to consider factors such as the intended use of the structure, the load it will need to support, the environmental conditions it will be exposed to, and any local building codes or regulations that must be followed.

2. How do you determine the appropriate dimensions for a concrete frame?

The appropriate dimensions for a concrete frame can be determined by conducting a structural analysis, which involves calculating the loads and stresses on the structure and using this information to determine the required dimensions and reinforcement for the frame.

3. What are some common challenges in designing concrete structures?

Some common challenges in designing concrete structures include determining the most cost-effective design, ensuring the structure can withstand high loads and environmental factors, and accounting for potential cracking or shrinkage of the concrete over time.

4. How do you ensure the safety and stability of a concrete structure?

To ensure the safety and stability of a concrete structure, it is important to follow all building codes and regulations, use appropriate materials and reinforcement, and conduct thorough structural analysis and testing. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify any potential issues and ensure the ongoing safety of the structure.

5. Can you provide an example of a tricky frame question from a past exam?

An example of a tricky frame question from a past exam may involve designing a concrete frame for a high-rise building in a seismic zone. This would require considering the potential impact of earthquakes on the structure and incorporating appropriate reinforcement and design elements to ensure its stability and safety.