Solve Tricky Induction Q: Integral Power of (\sqrt{2}-1)^k

• Thread starter rbnphlp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, any integral power of (\sqrt{2}-1)^k can be wriitten as the \sqrt{N_k}-\sqrt{N_k-1} for N a positive integer.
rbnphlp
Q.Show that any integral power of [tex](\sqrt{2}-1)^k[/tex] can be wriitten as the [tex]\sqrt{N_k}-\sqrt{N_k-1}[/tex] for N a positive integer .
I tried using induction to solve the problem but when looked at the book's solution they seem to suggest an extra condition that the following equation has to satisfy :
[tex](\sqrt{2}-1)^k=\sqrt{N_k}-\sqrt{N_k-1}[/tex] for N_k a positive integer satisfying [tex]\sqrt{2}\sqrt{N_k}\sqrt{N_k-1} \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] .

Why is this last condition required to apparently "complete" induction argument..which I don't get why this would be necessary ?

I managed to show the above is true for n+1 , but why would I have to show the above condition is true?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly it isn't necessary, if the statement is true for a positive integer satisfying your extra requirement, then it's true for just some positive integer (namely, the one satisfying your requirement). Likely what happened was in the proof they happened to show that [tex]\sqrt{2N_k (N_k -1)}[/tex] is an integer

Office_Shredder said:
Certainly it isn't necessary, if the statement is true for a positive integer satisfying your extra requirement, then it's true for just some positive integer (namely, the one satisfying your requirement). Likely what happened was in the proof they happened to show that [tex]\sqrt{2N_k (N_k -1)}[/tex] is an integer

just mmanaged to find out why the condition is true

true for k=1,

Assume k=j
[tex](\sqrt{2}-1)^j=\sqrt{N_j}-\sqrt{N_j-1}[/tex]

need to prove
[tex](\sqrt{2}-1)^{j+1}=\sqrt{N_{j+1}}-\sqrt{N_{j+1}-1}[/tex]

So ,
[tex](\sqrt{2}-1)^{j+1}=(\sqrt{2}-1)(\sqrt{2}-1)^j[/tex]

using assumption step we have ,
[tex](\sqrt{N_j}-\sqrt{N_j-1})(\sqrt{2}-1)[/tex]

rearranging ,
[tex](\sqrt{N_j}\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{N_j-1})-(\sqrt{2}\sqrt{N_j-1}+\sqrt{N_j})[/tex]

Now noticing ,
[tex](\sqrt{N_j}\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{N_j-1})^2=3N_j-1+2\sqrt{2}\sqrt{N_j}\sqrt{N_j-1}[/tex]

let [tex]K=3N_j-1+2\sqrt{2}\sqrt{N_j}\sqrt{N_j-1} , K\in Z[/tex]

[tex](\sqrt{2}\sqrt{N_j-1}+\sqrt{N_j})^2=3N_j-2+2\sqrt{2}\sqrt{N_j}\sqrt{N_j-1}=K-1[/tex]

In my last line I assumed [tex]2\sqrt{2}\sqrt{N_j}\sqrt{N_j-1}[/tex] is an integer which was stupid of me.

1. How do I approach solving tricky induction problems?

The key to solving tricky induction problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by setting up the base case and then work towards the inductive step. It can also be helpful to try rewriting the problem in different forms or using algebraic manipulation to simplify the expressions.

2. What is the base case for this specific problem?

The base case for this problem would be when k = 1, as this is the first value in the sequence. This would result in the expression being (\sqrt{2}-1)^1 = \sqrt{2}-1.

3. How do I approach the inductive step for this problem?

The inductive step for this problem would involve assuming that the statement is true for k = n, and then proving that it is also true for k = n+1. This can be done by substituting n+1 into the expression and using algebraic manipulation to show that it is equal to the statement for k = n.

4. Can I use mathematical induction to prove this statement?

Yes, mathematical induction can be used to prove this statement. This method involves proving the statement for the base case and then showing that if it is true for k = n, it is also true for k = n+1. This can be repeated for all values of k, proving that the statement holds true for all cases.

5. Are there any other methods I can use to solve this problem?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve tricky induction problems. One approach is to use a proof by contradiction, assuming that the statement is false and then showing that it leads to a contradiction. Another method is to use strong induction, which involves assuming that the statement is true for all values up to k = n and then proving that it is also true for k = n+1. However, mathematical induction is the most commonly used method for solving these types of problems.