Tricky integral (how to solve)?

• Thread starter Kruger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, The conversation is about integrating a nested double integral with a square root and a constant C. The correct notation for the integral is \int\int \sqrt{x^2+y^2+C^2}dydx. It is recommended to use the product rule for integration and make a substitution to simplify the integral. Some individuals are not familiar with how to integrate \int \sqrt{t^2 + c} \, dt and need assistance.
Kruger
I attached this integran (see picture). If I put this in my calculater he doesn't give me a formula independant of other integrals. Is this unsolveable? For you informations, C is a constant.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.bmp
    32.4 KB · Views: 588
Physics news on Phys.org
hello there

in your diagram the intergrand is not being integrated dy and dx should be placed after
the intergrand, correct me if I am wrong

steven

That's a common notation especially when the integrals are nested (folded) deep. It's just:

[tex]\int\int \sqrt{x^2+y^2+C}dydx[/tex]

Do you know how to integrate:

[tex]\int \sqrt{t^2 + c} \, dt[/tex]

If you can do that the rest is pretty simple.

no, sorry I don't know how to integrate this. Can someone tell me please?

hello there

just make a substitution which forms a change of variable such that you get something much more simpler in which you are able to integrate, as for your double integral, once you have put the intergrand in the correct position you first integrate the inside then you will be left with one integral and then integrate the next, but for each integral you are only integrating with respect to one variable and so all other variables are treated as constants in the intergrand

take care

steven

Ok, I'll try it.

integrate it by the lebniz product rule. take one function as sqrt(t2 + c) and the other as one.

Yes,it's reccomendable to use part integration,because the sign of the unknown constant can be either plus or minus and one wouldn't know which sub (cosh or sinh) to make.

Daniel.

That's a common notation especially when the integrals are nested (folded) deep. It's just:

[tex]\int\int \sqrt{x^2+y^2+C}dy \; dx[/tex]

You left of a square, it was actually

[tex]\int\int \sqrt{x^2+y^2+C^2}dydx[/tex]

which makes it easier (C^2 is nonzero).

1. How do I identify a tricky integral?

Tricky integrals are integrals that cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. They often involve complicated expressions, multiple variables, or special functions.

2. What are some common strategies for solving tricky integrals?

Some common strategies for solving tricky integrals include using trigonometric identities, partial fraction decomposition, and applying clever substitutions. It is also important to recognize patterns and use known integration techniques to simplify the integral.

3. How can I check if my solution to a tricky integral is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is to use differentiation. If the derivative of your solution matches the original integrand, then your solution is likely correct. Additionally, you can use online tools or graphing calculators to graph both the original function and your solution to visually compare them.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving tricky integrals?

One common mistake to avoid is applying integration techniques incorrectly. It is important to carefully follow the steps of each integration technique and double check your work. Another mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration in your final solution.

5. Are there any resources available to help me solve tricky integrals?

There are many resources available to help with solving tricky integrals, including online integration calculators, textbooks, and online forums where you can ask for help from other mathematicians and scientists. Additionally, practicing and attempting different types of integrals can help improve your problem-solving skills.