1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Integral

1. Mar 8, 2004 #1
    Given

[tex]P(x)= \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2\pi}} e ^ \frac { -(x - \mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2 }[/tex]

This is of course the normal distribution curve. When [tex] \mu = 0[/tex] and [tex] \sigma = 1[/tex] I can integrate this from minus infinity to positive infinity no problem using polar coordinates and a bit of multivariable calculus. The question I have, is, is it at all possible to do this if one leaves [tex] \mu[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] in as generic parameters? I would think so, but I'm not sure. No need to give a worked through example, just, is it possible at all to fit it to some form? Or is it just that with those parameters set to 0 and 1 that this is an integrable function?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2004 #2
  4. Mar 9, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Certainly. Just do a little creative substitution:
    Let [tex]u= \frac{x-\mu}{\sqrt(2)\sigma^2}[/tex].

Then [tex] du= \frac{1}{\sqrt(2)\sigma^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]P(x)= \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2\pi}} e ^ \frac { -(x - \mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2 }[/tex]

becomes [tex]P(u)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}} e ^{-u^2}[/tex]

which you can integrate from negative to positive infinity as usual.
    (That's why you probably have only seen that case.)

5. Mar 9, 2004 #4
  6. Mar 16, 2004 #5
    can it be integrated from a number to anohter... say -2 and 2?

7. Mar 17, 2004 #6
    Numerically, yes.
    Analytically, no (unless you count functions like Erf(x), which is cheating in my view).

8. Mar 17, 2004 #7
    Well wait a minute. Wouldn't you just change the bounds on the integral with respect to radius from 0 to infinity to 0 to 2? The theta integral would remain the same, and thus you'd get the analytical answer?

9. Mar 17, 2004 #8
    Maybe I misunderstood allergic's question. I thought that he wanted to know

[tex]\int_0^2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}} e ^{-u^2} \,{\rm d}u[/tex]

I don't think there is an analytical expression for that. Numerically it's easy (0.497661).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?