Solving a Tricky Integral: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter heinerL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a tricky integral and the importance of checking for singularities at x=0 and x=π/2. It is noted that the function does not necessarily have to exist at these points for the integral to converge. The conversation also mentions using Taylor series to understand the behavior of the integrand at x=π/2 and how it is similar to 1/y^2, which does not have a defined integral at 0. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity of the integral and the importance of carefully considering the behavior of the function at singularities before attempting to find an antiderivative.
heinerL
Hey

hope anybody can help me with a tricky integral ( i should check if it exists):

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{sin(x)}*cos^2(x)} dx[/tex]

And i have really no idea where to start!

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You should definitely check if it exists before you work too hard on it. What's the behavior like at x=0 and x=pi/2?

You aren't going to be able to find a "simple" antiderivative. Maple gives a complicated answer using Elliptic functions.

So you mean, because it does not exist for Pi/2 it does not exist at all? so simple?

And yeah, i know i did check it with maple too!

No, it's not that simple. You have to look at the behavior of the function around the singularities at x=0 and x=π/2. The integral can still converge is the function doesn't blow up too quickly around those two points.

heinerL said:
So you mean, because it does not exist for Pi/2 it does not exist at all? so simple?

That's not necessarily true. Consider the integral of 1/sqrt(x) from x=0 to 1. The integral exists, even though 1/sqrt(x) itself does not exist at x=0.

But if I try the limit x->Pi/2 i still get inf?

heinerL said:
But if I try the limit x->Pi/2 i still get inf?

The easiest way to see the problem at pi/2 is to expand your integrand in a Taylor series around x=pi/2 and realize the integrand looks like 1/y^2 where y=pi/2-x.

so you mean because the taylor series at x=pi/2 --> 1/(pi/2-x)^2 which is 1/0 at pi/2 and therefore not defined the integral does not exist? if yes, can you please tell me why? thx

As others have already said, it's not that the form is 1/0. It's that the integral of 1/y^2 in an interval including 0 doesn't not exist. Take integral from 0 to 1 of 1/y^2 and set in up as an improper integral, i.e. take integral from epsilon to 1 and let epsilon approach 0. Do you get a limit? Now do the same thing with 1/sqrt(y). Do you get a limit. They are both 1/0 AT y=0.

1. What is an integral and why is it important to solve tricky integrals?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is important to solve tricky integrals because they often arise in real-world applications and can help us find the exact value of a quantity, such as the distance traveled by an object or the amount of work done in a process.

2. How do I know if an integral is considered "tricky"?

An integral can be considered tricky if it cannot be solved using basic integration rules, such as the power rule or substitution. Tricky integrals often require more advanced techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitutions.

3. What are some tips for solving tricky integrals?

Some tips for solving tricky integrals include trying different integration techniques, breaking the integral into smaller parts, and using trigonometric identities or other mathematical properties to simplify the integrand. It can also be helpful to review basic integration rules and practice solving various types of integrals.

4. How can I check if my solution to a tricky integral is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a tricky integral is correct is to take the derivative of your answer and see if it matches the original integrand. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to graph the original function and your solution to visually compare them.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving tricky integrals?

One common mistake when solving tricky integrals is forgetting to change the bounds of integration when using substitution or other techniques. It is also important to double-check your algebra and calculations, as small errors can lead to incorrect solutions. Additionally, make sure to carefully evaluate any constants or limits involved in the integration process.