Tricky Integral

• Thread starter heinerL
  • Start date
Hey

hope anybody can help me with a tricky integral ( i should check if it exists):

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{sin(x)}*cos^2(x)} dx[/tex]

And i have really no idea where to start!

thanks

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You should definitely check if it exists before you work too hard on it. What's the behavior like at x=0 and x=pi/2?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You aren't going to be able to find a "simple" antiderivative. Maple gives a complicated answer using Elliptic functions.

So you mean, because it does not exist for Pi/2 it does not exist at all? so simple?

And yeah, i know i did check it with maple too!

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
No, it's not that simple. You have to look at the behavior of the function around the singularities at x=0 and x=π/2. The integral can still converge is the function doesn't blow up too quickly around those two points.

ideasrule
Homework Helper
So you mean, because it does not exist for Pi/2 it does not exist at all? so simple?

That's not necessarily true. Consider the integral of 1/sqrt(x) from x=0 to 1. The integral exists, even though 1/sqrt(x) itself does not exist at x=0.

But if I try the limit x->Pi/2 i still get inf?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
But if I try the limit x->Pi/2 i still get inf?

The easiest way to see the problem at pi/2 is to expand your integrand in a Taylor series around x=pi/2 and realize the integrand looks like 1/y^2 where y=pi/2-x.

so you mean because the taylor series at x=pi/2 --> 1/(pi/2-x)^2 which is 1/0 at pi/2 and therefore not defined the integral does not exist? if yes, can you please tell me why? thx

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
As others have already said, it's not that the form is 1/0. It's that the integral of 1/y^2 in an interval including 0 doesn't not exist. Take integral from 0 to 1 of 1/y^2 and set in up as an improper integral, i.e. take integral from epsilon to 1 and let epsilon approach 0. Do you get a limit? Now do the same thing with 1/sqrt(y). Do you get a limit. They are both 1/0 AT y=0.