1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky integral

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral to find the area.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

IMG_2118.jpg
    gifs upload

So I know how to find an anti-derivative for the most part. Here it's tricky because my equation has an exponent AKA square root. I tried to use the chain rule with anti-differentiation. My result was 0. I'm not sure how to deal with that exponent AKA square root.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Never heard of that. It doesn't seem to work, does it? Try to use the substitution method with the help of trigonometric identity, remember that ##a^2\sin^2\theta + a^2\cos^2\theta = a^2##.
    Note: exponent is not the same as square root.

4. Jan 15, 2016 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "chain rule with integration" is "substitution"- but you are doing it wrong.
    If you had [itex]\int (ax- b)^n dx[/itex] then you could let u= ax- b so that du= adx and dx= du/a. Replacing ax- b by u and dx by du/a, the integral becomes [itex]\int u^n (du/a)[/itex] and because a is a constant we can take it out and get [itex]\frac{1}{a}\int u^n du[/tex].

But if we have [itex]\int (cos(x)- b)^n dx[/itex] and try to do the same thing, we run into a problem. Letting u= cos(x)- b, we have du= -sin(x)dx so that dx= -du/cos(x). Putting those into the integral, [itex]\int u^n (du/cos(x))[/itex]. But now we cannot take "cos(x)" outside the integral because it is NOT a constant! And we cannot integrate cos(x) with respect to u.

The "chain rule" with differentiation says that if f(x)= g(u(x)) for some differentiable function u, then df/dx= (dg/du)(du/dx). That is, we multiply together the derivatives of g with respect to u and u with respect to x. But doing the "opposite", substituting in the integral for u(x), [itex]\int g(u(x))dx[/itex] we cannot just do the integration with respect to u of g and then multiply by the integral of g. We have to have something line [itex]\int g(u(x))u'(x)dx[/itex]. u'dx= du so the integral becomes [itex]\int g(u)du[/itex]. But the derivative, u', has to already be in the integral. We cannot just multiply as we can with differentiation.

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have errors on every line of the work you have done. Here is your work, reproduced using LaTeX, with comments.
    ##\int_0^{\sqrt{19}} \sqrt{19 - h^2} dh##
    ##= (19 - h^2)^{1/2}## No. All you have done is to remove the integration symbol.
    ##= \frac{2(19 - h^2)^{1/2}}{3} \cdot (19h - \left. \frac{h^3}{3}) \right|_0^{\sqrt{19}}## See comment below.
    ##= 0## Not a reasonable answer. The integral represents the area of a quarter-circle, whose area is not zero.

From above:
    No, this isn't how it works. To get ##19h - \frac{h^3} 3## you integrated ##19 - h^2## but ignored the fact that ##19 - h^2## is raised to the 1/2 power. You can verify that your integration is incorrect by differentiating your antiderivative. For example, ##\int x^3 dx = \frac {x^4} 4 + C##. If I differentiate ##\frac {x^4} 4 + C##, I get ##x^3##, the integrand I started with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted