Integrating a Complex Integral: Solving the Mystery of the Missing Factor 3

In summary, the integral given is split into two parts and then solved using partial integration. The final answer should be \frac{{\pi \left( {e^{2\pi } - 1} \right)}}{4}. However, there were a couple of errors in the calculations that resulted in an incorrect final answer. By correcting these errors, the final answer is \frac{{3\pi \left( {e^{2\pi } - 1} \right)}}{8}, which is not the expected answer.
TSN79
I'm trying to perform the following integral
[tex]
\pi \int\limits_0^\pi {e^{2x} } \left( {\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2}\cos 2x} \right)dx
[/tex]
I split the integral and temporarely ignore the Pi so that I get
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\int {e^{2x} dx} - \frac{1}{2}\int {e^{2x} \cdot \cos } \left( {2x} \right)dx
[/tex]
Now, using partial integration on the second part I get
[tex]
\int {e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx
[/tex]
Using partial integration again on the right integral I get
[tex]
\int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx = - \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) + \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx}
[/tex]
I appears I haven't gotten anywhere, but I can now combine the last two lines and get
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - (\frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} - \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} \left. {dx} \right)} \\
2\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} } \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\
\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
Finally, multiplying in the Pi and the first initial half of the integral:
[tex]
\pi \cdot \left( {\frac{1}{4}e^{2x} - \frac{1}{2}\left( {\frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} \right)} \right)
[/tex]
Putting in Pi and 0 for x, and subtracting the two, I arrive at this expression:
[tex]
\frac{{3\pi \left( {e^{2\pi } - 1} \right)}}{8}
[/tex]
The problem is that this factor 3 shouldn't be there. If you just perform the initial integration on a calculator the answer is the same except for the factor 3, so where am I going wrong here?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You messed up a couple minus signs. I'm going to copy and paste your code with corrections.
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - (-\frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} + \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} \left. {dx} \right)} \\
2\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} } \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) + \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\
\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) + \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

That should point you in right direction. Eventually, you should have something like this:

[tex]
\left.\frac{1}{4} \mathrm{e}^{2x} \right|_0^\pi - \left.\frac{1}{8}\mathrm{e}^{2x}\left(\cos 2x + \sin 2x\right)\right|_0^\pi
[/tex]

So, you'll get something: 2Y - Y = Y where Y is the answer you expect.

Last edited:

First, let's take a look at the initial integral:

\pi \int\limits_0^\pi {e^{2x} } \left( {\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2}\cos 2x} \right)dx

You are correct in splitting the integral and temporarily ignoring the Pi. However, when you use partial integration on the second part, you should have:

\frac{1}{2}\int {e^{2x} dx} - \frac{1}{2}\int {e^{2x} \cdot \cos } \left( {2x} \right)dx

= \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} - \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}\sin(2x) - \frac{1}{2}\int e^{2x}\sin(2x)dx\right)

Notice that the second term should have a negative sign in front of it since you are using the product rule for integration. This is where the factor of 3 comes from. When you use partial integration again, you should have:

\int e^{2x}\sin(2x)dx = -\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}\cos(2x) + \frac{1}{2}\int e^{2x}\cos(2x)dx

Substituting this back into the previous equation, we get:

\frac{1}{2}e^{2x} - \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}\sin(2x) + \frac{1}{2}e^{2x}\cos(2x) - \frac{1}{2}\int e^{2x}\cos(2x)dx\right)

= \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} - \frac{1}{4}e^{2x}\sin(2x) - \frac{1}{4}e^{2x}\cos(2x) + \frac{1}{4}\int e^{2x}\cos(2x)dx

= \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} - \frac{1}{4}e^{2x}\sin(2x) - \frac{1}{4

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in a complex plane. It is a generalization of the real-valued integral and is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the missing factor 3 in the complex integral?

The missing factor 3 in the complex integral refers to a common mistake made when solving complex integrals. It occurs when the integral is incorrectly set up or when certain steps are skipped, resulting in the final answer being multiplied by a factor of 3.

3. How do you integrate a complex integral?

Integrating a complex integral involves breaking it down into smaller integrals and applying appropriate techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check for any missing factors or mistakes in the setup.

4. Why is it important to correctly integrate a complex integral?

Correctly integrating a complex integral is crucial because it allows for accurate calculations in various scientific and mathematical applications. A missing factor or incorrect setup can lead to incorrect results and affect the overall validity and reliability of a study or experiment.

5. What are some tips for avoiding the missing factor 3 in complex integrals?

Some tips for avoiding the missing factor 3 in complex integrals include carefully setting up the integral, double-checking the steps, and using appropriate techniques for integration. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with common mistakes and how to avoid them.