Integrals 0 to ∞: Tricky Problems Solved

• Thread starter Phoenix314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, we discussed four integrals, all with lower bounds of 0 and upper bounds of infinity. Problems 1 and 3 can be written in terms of the integral for e^(-x^2), while problems 2 and 4 are divergent. However, there may be a mistake with problem 2 as it cannot be solved by Maple or Mathematica. The values of the integrals are: 1) Converges to 0.5*sqrt(Pi), 2) Diverges, 3) Converges to sqrt(Pi), and 4) Converges to 0.25*sqrt(Pi).
Phoenix314
All of these integrals have lower bounds of 0 and upper bounds of infinity:

Problems 1 and 2 just require me to determine whether it converges or diverges. 3 and 4 actually require a value.

1) e^(-x) * sqrt(x)
2) [tex]\frac{x*arctan(x)}{(1+x^4)^(1/3)}[/tex]
3) e^(-x) / sqrt(x)
4) x^2 * e^[-(x^2)]

I tried to use integration by parts but I went in circles

[Edit:] number 2 should have (1+x^4)^(1/3) in the denominator

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phoenix314 said:
All of these integrals have lower bounds of 0 and upper bounds of infinity:

1) e^(-x) * sqrt(x)
2) [tex]\frac{x*arctan(x)}{(1+x^4)^(1/3)}[/tex]
3) e^(-x) / sqrt(x)
4) x^2 * e^[-(x^2)]

I tried to use integration by parts but I went in circles

[Edit:] number 2 should have (1+x^4)^(1/3) in the denominator
Do you know the integral on that set for exp(-x^2)? 1,3,4 can be written in terms of it. If i am reading 2 right as (x*Arctan(x))/(1+x^4)^(1/3)~x^(-1/3) for large x and hence diverges.

Last edited:
I am given that e^(-x^2) = 0.5*sqrt(pi), but I couldn't get the integrals into that form through integration by parts - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Phoenix314 said:
I am given that e^(-x^2) = 0.5*sqrt(pi), but I couldn't get the integrals into that form through integration by parts - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
For 1,3 change variable u^2=x you will get 4 back from one of them and the given integral from the others. for 4 and the one that becomes like it intgrate by parts differentiate x and integrat x exp(-x^2). Again 2 (perhaps you mistyped it?) diverges.

Are you sure about the second?

[tex] \int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{x \arctan x}{\sqrt[3]{\left(1+x^{4}\right)}} \ dx [/tex]

Maple cannot do it and neither Mathematica.

Daniel.

That's the correct integral, it must diverge.

These are the answers that I got

1) Converges (to 0.5*sqrt (Pi))
2) Diverges
3) Converges to sqrt (Pi)
4) Converges to 0.25 * sqrt (Pi)

Do these look right?

Thanks

1. What are integrals and why are they important in mathematics?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. They are important because they allow us to solve a wide range of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

2. What does "0 to ∞" represent in the title of the problem set?

The notation "0 to ∞" indicates that the integrals being solved in this problem set involve an unbounded upper limit, meaning the interval of integration extends to infinity. This presents unique challenges in solving the integrals.

3. What makes these integrals "tricky"?

These integrals are considered tricky because they involve an unbounded upper limit, which can make them difficult to solve using traditional methods. They often require creative approaches and advanced techniques, making them challenging for even experienced mathematicians.

4. Can integrals with an unbounded upper limit have a finite value?

Yes, it is possible for an integral with an unbounded upper limit to have a finite value. This can occur when the integrand (the function being integrated) approaches zero quickly enough as the upper limit approaches infinity, resulting in a convergent integral.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky integrals?

Practicing and familiarizing yourself with different techniques and approaches for solving integrals can greatly improve your skills. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in calculus and familiarity with advanced mathematical concepts such as series, limits, and special functions. Seeking guidance from experienced mathematicians or taking specialized courses can also be beneficial.