Tricky Kinematics Problems - Desperately

• Thread starter RPierre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the problem is to calculate the smallest distance between two cars, located at (-29.9, 0) and (0, -41.0) respectively, traveling at 12.7 m/s and 6.5 m/s in the +x and +y directions. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the distance between the cars is represented by the function d^2 = (p1(t))^2 + (p2(t))^2, where p1(t) and p2(t) are the positions of the cars based on time relative to the origin. The minimum of this function needs to be solved to find the correct answer of 22.9 m.
RPierre

Homework Statement

I am new to this board, but I am at my wits end trying to solve this problem. If anyone could provide a somewhat detailed solution i would forever be in debt, thanks!

One car, located at position (-29.9 , 0 ) is traveling at 12.7 m/s ( +x)
Another Car, located at position ( 0, -41.0) is traveling at 6.5 m/s ( +y)

+y Direction
^
|
|
----------> + x direction

Calculate the smallest distance between the two cars

Homework Equations

I created two functions :
p1 (t) = 12.7t - 29.9
p2 (t) = 6.5t - 41.0

Which represent the position of the cars, based on time, relative to the origin

The Attempt at a Solution

Using pythagorean theorom, i concluded the distance between them can be summarized as

d^2 = (p1(t))^2 + (p2(t))^2

Then i Attempt to solve the minumum of this function, which is where i always screw up.

The correct answer to the problem is 22.9 m

• Skeptical
Likes sathvik bellamkonda
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi RPierre! Welcome to PF! :smile:
RPierre said:
I created two functions :
p1 (t) = 12.7t - 29.9
p2 (t) = 6.5t - 41.0

Which represent the position of the cars, based on time, relative to the origin

Using pythagorean theorom, i concluded the distance between them can be summarized as

d^2 = (p1(t))^2 + (p2(t))^2

Then i Attempt to solve the minumum of this function, which is where i always screw up.

Well, that's fine so far. :smile:

Show us how you tried to solve it, and then we'll be able to see where the problem is. :wink:

1. What are tricky kinematics problems?

Tricky kinematics problems are physics problems that involve analyzing the motion of objects and their relationship to time and space. These problems often require a deep understanding of mathematical principles and can be challenging to solve.

2. How can I approach solving tricky kinematics problems?

It is important to start by clearly defining the given variables and understanding the problem's context. Then, use kinematic equations and other equations from classical mechanics to solve for the desired solution.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving tricky kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong equations or formulas, not considering all relevant variables, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and go back to review the problem if you are stuck.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky kinematics problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving tricky kinematics problems. Start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving tricky kinematics problems?

One tip is to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to help you better understand the given information and visualize the motion. Additionally, it can be helpful to break the problem into smaller parts and solve them individually before putting all the pieces together.