Solve Lagrangian Homework Problem: Tricky Motion of Mass C

• Thread starter s.g.g
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the system consists of three masses in a line, connected by springs. A force is applied to one of the masses and the system's motion is determined by the Euler Lagrange equation.
s.g.g

Homework Statement

A system consists of 3 identical masses (A,B & C) in a line, connected by 2 springs of spring constant k. Motion is restricted to 1 dimension. at t=0 the masses are at rest. Mass A is the subjected to a driving force given by:

F=F0*cos(omega*t)

Calculate the motion of C

Homework Equations

L=T-V, Euler lagrange equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the easiest way to do this is to write a lagrangian and solve for the equation of motion for the masses.

I denoted the initial positions of the masses x1, x2 and x3 respectively.
the kinetic energy term for the lagrangian then becomes

T= 1.5*m*((x1dot)^2 + (x2dot)^2 + (x3dot)^2)

For the potential, i have stated that the distance between the masses at equilibrium is equal to J. Hence the potential due to the springs is:

V= k(x1^2 + 2*x2^2 - 3*x2*x1 - x2*x3 + x1*x3 + J(x1+x3-2*x2)

I am unsure if this is correct and i have no idea how to incorporate the driving force into the equation. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your kinetic term should have a coefficient of 0.5, not 1.5. If we choose to measure each position from its own equilibrium point, then we can set J=0. Then the potential from the springs should be V = 0.5 k [(x1-x2)^2 + (x2-x3)^2]. You can take the force into account by adding -F(t)x1 to V, because a force is minus the gradient of the potential.

i was uncertain whether i could ascribe an equilibrium position to each mass as it is determined by its position relative to the adjacent masses rather than a fixed point in space. Hence it is constantly changing. that is why i thought i had to introduce the value J. Is this wrong?

1. How do I approach solving a Lagrangian homework problem?

The first step in solving a Lagrangian homework problem is to carefully read the problem statement and understand the physical situation. Then, identify the system's degrees of freedom and write out the Lagrangian function.

2. What are the key equations for solving Lagrangian problems?

The key equations for solving Lagrangian problems are the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is used to find the equations of motion for the system, and the Hamilton's equations, which are used to solve for the system's position and momentum at any given time.

3. How do I handle tricky motion of mass C in a Lagrangian problem?

Tricky motion of mass C in a Lagrangian problem may involve situations such as non-inertial reference frames, constraints, or external forces. It is important to carefully consider these factors and include them in the Lagrangian function and equations of motion if necessary.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Lagrangian problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Lagrangian problems include forgetting to include all relevant forces in the Lagrangian function, using incorrect expressions for kinetic and potential energy, and making algebraic errors when solving the equations of motion.

5. How can I check my solution for a Lagrangian homework problem?

One way to check your solution for a Lagrangian homework problem is to compare your results with those obtained using other methods, such as Newton's laws or energy conservation. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and ensure that they are consistent with the physical situation described in the problem.