Solving Tricky Limits Using Trigonometric Identities

• Thread starter The_Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a limit question involving a trigonometric expression. Various methods are suggested, including using L'Hospital's Rule and trig identities. Ultimately, the limit can be solved using trig identities in a few lines of work.
The_Brain
Hey, I have this limit question that I just cannot find the trick for. I've even tried using multiple-angle formulas and converting to complex numbers but I just can't seem to get it. The limit is:

(2sin(x)-sin(2x))/(3sin(x)-sin(3x)) as x -> 0.

The supposed answer is 1/4. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its and indeterminate form, try L'Hospital's Rule. Hint: twice.

Show your work.

As far as I can tell, L'Hopital's rule is a terrible way to go about doing it. It can be solved very quickly with trig identities.

Couldn't you simplify it by doing: [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{2\sin x - \sin 2x}{3\sin x - \sin 3x} = \frac{2}{3}(\frac{\sin x - \sin 2x}{\sin x - \sin 3x}) [/tex]? Since you know the answer is [tex] \frac{1}{4} [/tex] you the the expression in the parantheses has to be [tex] \frac{3}{8} [/tex].

Just an idea

Maybe you could rationalize the denominator

Last edited:
I figured it out! Use trig identities for sin(2x) and sin(3x) as well as a double L'Hospital's. In all honesty, I really should have done that before giving up and posting here; I really appreciate all the quick replies, though!

Edit: Actually it's 3 applications of L'Hospitals.

Last edited:
I take back what I said. I'm not sure that L'Hoptial's rule is a bad way to go. I don't know if it is any good, but I initially thought it was bad because I wasn't thinking (I was thinking you'd have to find the derivative of the whole expression, and you'd get ugly stuff from the quotient rule, but then I remembered that you just have to differentiate top and bottom separately). Anyways, using trig identities (once for the top, twice for the bottom) the problem can be solved nicely and neatly in about 7-8 lines of work, so like I said, I don't know whether L'Hoptial's is good or bad, but if it is more than 10-12 lines, it's not the best way to go.

What is a tricky limit question?

A tricky limit question is a type of math problem where the limit of a function is difficult to determine, often involving special cases or unconventional methods.

Why are tricky limit questions challenging?

Tricky limit questions can be challenging because they require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think critically and creatively to come up with a solution.

How can I improve my skills in solving tricky limit questions?

To improve your skills in solving tricky limit questions, you can practice regularly, study different techniques and strategies for solving them, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

Are there any tips for solving tricky limit questions?

Yes, some helpful tips for solving tricky limit questions include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, trying different approaches or techniques, and checking your answer for reasonableness.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving tricky limit questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving tricky limit questions include not fully understanding the problem, using incorrect formulas or methods, and making careless errors in calculations.