1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky limit. taylor series?

1. Dec 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

compute the following limit:

## \displaystyle{\lim_{x\to +\infty} x \left((1+\frac{1}{x})^{x} - e \right)} ##

3. The attempt at a solution

i wanted to use the taylor expansion, but didn't know what ##x_0## would be correct, as the x goes to ## \infty##.

also, i tried to use de l'hopital's theorem but it wouldn't work.
    how can i do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2
    Is it supposed to be e or e^x?

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely e; this limit would quantify, to first order, how rapidly [itex](1 + 1/x)^x[/itex] converges to its limit e.

5. Dec 22, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try rewriting the limit in terms of z=1/x.

6. Dec 22, 2012 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

[tex]x\left(\left(1 + \frac1x\right)^x - e\right) = x\left(\exp\left(x\ln \left(1 + \frac1x\right)\right) - e\right)[/tex]

At this point, one can proceed to substitute the Maclaurin series for [itex]\ln(1 + t)[/itex] with [itex]t = x^{-1}[/itex] (we want the limit as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex], so we can assume [itex]0 < t = x^{-1} < 1[/itex]) to get
    [tex]x\ln\left(1 + \frac1x\right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)x^n}[/tex]
    and then substitute that into the series for [itex]\exp(x)[/itex] to get
    [tex]\exp\left(x\ln\left(1 + \frac1x\right)\right) =
    \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac1{k!} \left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)x^n}\right)^k = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_m}{x^m}[/tex]
    (everything here is absolutely convergent, so I can add terms in whatever order I want) so that
    [tex]x\left(\left(1 + \frac1x\right)^x - e\right) = \left(\sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_m}{x^{m-1}} - ex\right) = x(a_0 - e) + a_1 + \sum_{m=2}^{\infty} \frac{a_m}{x^{m-1}}[/tex]
    It's clear that the series on the right tends to 0 as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex], so all you need to work out to determine the limit (if any) is [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]a_1[/itex]. (You'll need to consider, for each [itex]k[/itex], what the coefficients of [itex]x^0[/itex] and [itex]x^{-1}[/itex] are and add them all together. Actually you can truncate the inner series after [itex]n = 1[/itex], because including [itex]n \geq 2[/itex] doesn't give you any more terms of order [itex]x^0[/itex] and [itex]x^{-1}[/itex] then you already have.

But that is a brute-force method and I'm sure there's a more elegant solution.

7. Dec 22, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

L'Hôpital's rule works just fine.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(f(x)\right)^x=\frac{d}{dx}e^{x \ln(f(x))}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle =\left(\ln(f(x))+\frac{x}{f(x)}\right)e^{x \ln(f(x))}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\left(\ln(f(x))+\frac{xf'(x)}{f(x)} \right)\left(f(x)\right)^x[/itex]

Fixed in Edit.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  8. Dec 22, 2012 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You forgot to apply the chain rule when differentiating ln(f(x)).

9. Dec 22, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

DUH !

Thank you vela !

10. Dec 23, 2012 #9
    what if i use the taylor series for ##x_0=1##?
    it should become:
    ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\ x [(2+(x-1)log(4)-1+o((x-1)^2)-e] = \infty * \infty = \infty ##

is it correct?

11. Dec 23, 2012 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Nope

12. Dec 23, 2012 #11
    ..maybe it was just de l'hospital then, does this look ok to you?

##\displaystyle \lim{x \to \infty}\ \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}} ((1+ \frac{1}{x})^x-e) = \frac{0}{0}##
    using de l'hopital
    ##\displaystyle \lim{x \to \infty}\ \frac{1}{\frac{-1}{x^2}} (x(1+\frac{1}{x})^{x-1}*\frac{-1}{x^2}##
    which is
    ## = \infty * \frac{e}{1+0} = \infty ##

13. Dec 23, 2012 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You didn't differentiate correctly. See post #6. You should get a finite answer.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  14. Dec 23, 2012 #13
    i can't solve it with derivatives. i eep using de l'hopital but it gets worse and worse.
    i thought i could split it into:
    ##\displaystyle \lim x \to \infty\ x(1+1/x)^x - \displaystyle \lim x \to \infty\ xe ##
    and use taylor series for x=0 of the second part, which becomes:
    ##x*\displaystyle\sum\limits_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!} ##
    however, i can't figure out the series of the first part

15. Dec 23, 2012 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You don't want to use a Taylor series about x=0. You want to be able to neglect high-order terms which you can't because the limit is for ##x \to \infty##.

Why don't you try my suggestion of rewriting the limit in terms of z=1/x? It'll make applying L'Hopital's more straightforward, and because the limit will be for ##z \to 0##, you can use a Taylor series about ##z=0## if necessary.

16. Dec 30, 2012 #15
    okay, I think I've solved it:
    ##\lim_{y \to 0}\frac{(1+y)^{\frac{1}{y}}-e}{y}=\lim_{y \to 0} \frac{e^{\frac{1}{y}log(1+y)}-e}{y}##
    I find the Maclaurin extension for log(1+y), stopping at the third power

##log(1+y)=y-\frac{y^2}{2}+\frac{y^3}{3}##

##\displaystyle{\lim_{y \to 0} \frac{e^{1-\frac{y}{2}-\frac{y^2}{3}}-e }{y}}(=\frac{0}{0})##

## \stackrel{\text{H}}{=} \displaystyle{ \lim_{y \to 0} (-\frac{1}{2}+2\frac{y}{3})e^{1-\frac{y}{2}+\frac{y^2}{2}}}##

##=-\frac{e}{2}##

should be ok now

17. Dec 30, 2012 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's ok now. There's a couple of what are obviously just typos. But nothing important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook