Solving Limits: Seeking Help with x Approaching 0

• Thread starter vgower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the two limits are:The limit as x approaches 0 of sin^2(4x) / xtan(x) .. I tried to flip it... but I couldn't get it that way either. The limit as x approaches 0 of (x + tan(4x)) / sin(9x)
vgower
Limits

I'm doing some online practice work... and I can't find out how to get the following two limits... I know they are not undefined.

The limit as x approaches 0 of sin^2(4x) / xtan(x) .. I tried to flip it... but I couldn't get it that way either.

The limit as x approaches 0 of (x + tan(4x)) / sin(9x)

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
We're not doing derivitaves yet.. so it wouldn't make sense.. but I could try.

Doesn't work.

I'm doing some online practice work... and I can't find out how to get the following two limits... I know they are not undefined.

The limit as x approaches 0 of sin^2(4x) / xtan(x) .. I tried to flip it... but I couldn't get it that way either.

The limit as x approaches 0 of (x + tan(4x)) / sin(9x)

Any help would be appreciated.

I am getting 16 as my answer. I first broke [tex]\sin(4x)^2[/tex] into [tex](2\sin(2x)*\cos(2x))^2[/tex] and then I further broke this down to [tex]16\sin(x)^2\cos(x)^2(\cos(x)^2-\sin(x)^2)^2[/tex]. Then I didived it by x*tan(x) from which I got:

[tex]16*\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\cos(x)^3(\cos(x)^2-\sin(x)^2)[/tex]

Then ... here is the muddy part ... I assumed that the limit of the products is the product of the limits. Then, since the limit of sinx(x)/x is 1, you end up with 16 as your answer after you evalute the rest of the limit at x=0.

Then ... here is the muddy part ... I assumed that the limit of the products is the product of the limits.
Then find a reason why you can assume that. It's not hard.

Incidentally, if you know (sin x)/x --> 1 as x --> 0, there's a much easier way to deal with sin (4x)...

i also got 16 for the first one using L'Hopitals rule (although I had to go to second derivatives) but I just expanded sin^2(4x) as [1-cos(8x)]/2 and did l'hopitals rule twice (making sure I kept my fractions seperate)

You're all making these way too hard. Think about it -- what is the intuitive meaning of:

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}
[/tex]

? Does it tell you anything interesting geometrically or algebraically?

Highlight if you need to see the answer: (it tells you that, when x is small, sin x looks and acts very much like x)

So what does that tell you about these limits?

Last edited:
vgower said:

The simplest method would be L'Hopital's rule. Have you tried that? If you don't want to do that, you might separate it as
[tex]4\frac{sin(4x)}{4x}\frac{sin(4x)}{tan(x)}[/tex]
You should know the limit of [itex]4\frac{sin(4x)}{4x}[/itex] and you should be able to use the trig identity sin(4x)= 2sin(2x)cos(2x) to reduce
[tex]\frac{sin(4x)}{tan(x)}[/tex]

This same question was asked under "homework". I am going to combine the two threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
you should be able to use the trig identity sin(4x)= 2sin(2x)cos(2x) to reduce
You shouldn't need the trig identity. :wink: The only facts you need are the elementary limit properties, and that the limits of (sin x)/x and (tan x)/x are both 1, as x goes to zero.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function is "approaching" but may not necessarily reach.

2. How do I solve a limit?

To solve a limit, you must first identify the function and the value that the input is approaching. Then, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing to determine the limit.

3. What is the importance of solving limits?

Solving limits allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It is a crucial tool in calculus and is used to solve various problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What does it mean when x approaches 0?

When x approaches 0, it means that the input of the function is getting closer and closer to 0. This can be represented as x→0 or "as x approaches 0".

5. Are there any special techniques for solving limits when x approaches 0?

Yes, there are several special techniques for solving limits when x approaches 0, such as L'Hopital's rule, the squeeze theorem, and trigonometric identities. These techniques can be helpful when the limit is indeterminate or difficult to solve using basic algebra.