Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tricky Limits

1. Sep 7, 2006 #1
    Limits

I'm doing some online practice work... and I can't find out how to get the following two limits.... I know they are not undefined.

The limit as x approaches 0 of sin^2(4x) / xtan(x) .. I tried to flip it... but I couldn't get it that way either.

The limit as x approaches 0 of (x + tan(4x)) / sin(9x)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2006 #2
  4. Sep 7, 2006 #3
    We're not doing derivitaves yet.. so it wouldnt make sense.. but I could try.

5. Sep 7, 2006 #4
    Doesn't work.

6. Sep 7, 2006 #5
    I'm doing some online practice work... and I can't find out how to get the following two limits.... I know they are not undefined.

The limit as x approaches 0 of sin^2(4x) / xtan(x) .. I tried to flip it... but I couldn't get it that way either.

The limit as x approaches 0 of (x + tan(4x)) / sin(9x)

Any help would be appreciated.

7. Sep 7, 2006 #6
    I am getting 16 as my answer. I first broke [tex]\sin(4x)^2[/tex] into [tex](2\sin(2x)*\cos(2x))^2[/tex] and then I further broke this down to [tex]16\sin(x)^2\cos(x)^2(\cos(x)^2-\sin(x)^2)^2[/tex]. Then I didived it by x*tan(x) from which I got:

[tex]16*\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\cos(x)^3(\cos(x)^2-\sin(x)^2)[/tex]

Then ... here is the muddy part ... I assumed that the limit of the products is the product of the limits. Then, since the limit of sinx(x)/x is 1, you end up with 16 as your answer after you evalute the rest of the limit at x=0.

8. Sep 7, 2006 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then find a reason why you can assume that. It's not hard.

Incidentally, if you know (sin x)/x --> 1 as x --> 0, there's a much easier way to deal with sin (4x)...

9. Sep 7, 2006 #8
    i also got 16 for the first one using L'Hopitals rule (although I had to go to second derivatives) but I just expanded sin^2(4x) as [1-cos(8x)]/2 and did l'hopitals rule twice (making sure I kept my fractions seperate)

10. Sep 7, 2006 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're all making these way too hard. Think about it -- what is the intuitive meaning of:

[tex]
    \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}
    [/tex]

? Does it tell you anything interesting geometrically or algebraically?

Highlight if you need to see the answer: (it tells you that, when x is small, sin x looks and acts very much like x)

So what does that tell you about these limits?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  11. Sep 7, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The simplest method would be L'Hopital's rule. Have you tried that? If you don't want to do that, you might separate it as
    [tex]4\frac{sin(4x)}{4x}\frac{sin(4x)}{tan(x)}[/tex]
    You should know the limit of [itex]4\frac{sin(4x)}{4x}[/itex] and you should be able to use the trig identity sin(4x)= 2sin(2x)cos(2x) to reduce
    [tex]\frac{sin(4x)}{tan(x)}[/tex]

12. Sep 7, 2006 #11

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

This same question was asked under "homework". I am going to combine the two threads.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  13. Sep 7, 2006 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You shouldn't need the trig identity. :wink: The only facts you need are the elementary limit properties, and that the limits of (sin x)/x and (tan x)/x are both 1, as x goes to zero.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook