1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Limits

1. Sep 7, 2006 #1
    Limits

I'm doing some online practice work... and I can't find out how to get the following two limits.... I know they are not undefined.

The limit as x approaches 0 of sin^2(4x) / xtan(x) .. I tried to flip it... but I couldn't get it that way either.

The limit as x approaches 0 of (x + tan(4x)) / sin(9x)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2006 #2
  4. Sep 7, 2006 #3
    We're not doing derivitaves yet.. so it wouldnt make sense.. but I could try.

5. Sep 7, 2006 #4
    Doesn't work.

6. Sep 7, 2006 #5
    I'm doing some online practice work... and I can't find out how to get the following two limits.... I know they are not undefined.

The limit as x approaches 0 of sin^2(4x) / xtan(x) .. I tried to flip it... but I couldn't get it that way either.

The limit as x approaches 0 of (x + tan(4x)) / sin(9x)

Any help would be appreciated.

7. Sep 7, 2006 #6
    I am getting 16 as my answer. I first broke [tex]\sin(4x)^2[/tex] into [tex](2\sin(2x)*\cos(2x))^2[/tex] and then I further broke this down to [tex]16\sin(x)^2\cos(x)^2(\cos(x)^2-\sin(x)^2)^2[/tex]. Then I didived it by x*tan(x) from which I got:

[tex]16*\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\cos(x)^3(\cos(x)^2-\sin(x)^2)[/tex]

Then ... here is the muddy part ... I assumed that the limit of the products is the product of the limits. Then, since the limit of sinx(x)/x is 1, you end up with 16 as your answer after you evalute the rest of the limit at x=0.

8. Sep 7, 2006 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then find a reason why you can assume that. It's not hard.

Incidentally, if you know (sin x)/x --> 1 as x --> 0, there's a much easier way to deal with sin (4x)...

9. Sep 7, 2006 #8
    i also got 16 for the first one using L'Hopitals rule (although I had to go to second derivatives) but I just expanded sin^2(4x) as [1-cos(8x)]/2 and did l'hopitals rule twice (making sure I kept my fractions seperate)

10. Sep 7, 2006 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're all making these way too hard. Think about it -- what is the intuitive meaning of:

[tex]
    \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}
    [/tex]

? Does it tell you anything interesting geometrically or algebraically?

Highlight if you need to see the answer: (it tells you that, when x is small, sin x looks and acts very much like x)

So what does that tell you about these limits?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  11. Sep 7, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The simplest method would be L'Hopital's rule. Have you tried that? If you don't want to do that, you might separate it as
    [tex]4\frac{sin(4x)}{4x}\frac{sin(4x)}{tan(x)}[/tex]
    You should know the limit of [itex]4\frac{sin(4x)}{4x}[/itex] and you should be able to use the trig identity sin(4x)= 2sin(2x)cos(2x) to reduce
    [tex]\frac{sin(4x)}{tan(x)}[/tex]

12. Sep 7, 2006 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This same question was asked under "homework". I am going to combine the two threads.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  13. Sep 7, 2006 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You shouldn't need the trig identity. :wink: The only facts you need are the elementary limit properties, and that the limits of (sin x)/x and (tan x)/x are both 1, as x goes to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?