Solving Tricky Logarithms Problems

• Thread starter vijay123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with two difficult problems and is unsure if they involve a trick or can be solved using a formula. They have already spent days trying to solve them with no success. The suggested approach is to take the logarithm of both sides of the equations and use the laws of logarithms to isolate x. The solution to both questions should follow easily after that. The speaker also mentions that they have asked for help in another forum.
vijay123
hi,
i got 2 problems that are really hard to solve. i don't know wether they are trick question or they just can be incorperated in a formula.i have taken days to solve them but in vain. please help!

a) 10(3^(2x+1)) = 2^(4x-3)

b) (2/3x)^(log2) = (9x)^(log3)

thanks you very much:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
In both questions, take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, then use the laws of logarithms to isolate x (the one to start with is the exponent law: log(x^b) = b*log(x)).

The solutions to the questions should hopefully follow easily now. =)

(Ha, just noticed your post in the other forum was asking the same question. Seems you got some answers there.)

lol...rite

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is a mathematical function that helps us solve for the exponent when given a base and a result of the exponentiation.

2. Why are logarithms useful in solving tricky problems?

Logarithms are useful because they allow us to reframe complex exponential equations into simpler linear equations. This makes it easier to manipulate and solve for the unknown variable.

3. How do I solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you can use the properties of logarithms such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. You can also use the change of base formula or apply the definition of logarithms. It is important to carefully follow the rules and steps to solve the problem correctly.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithm problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithm problems include forgetting to apply the proper rules, using incorrect bases, and making calculation errors. It is also important to check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve logarithm problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve logarithm problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts and rules behind logarithms in order to use the calculator correctly. Using a calculator can also help you check your work and ensure that you have solved the problem accurately.