Solve Math Problem: x2+y2+z2=?

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
In summary, the problem presents three equations with three unknown variables, x, y, and z. The first equation is x+y+z=0, the second equation is x3+y3+z3=3, and the third equation is x5+y5+z5=15. The question asks for the value of x2+y2+z2. This problem can be easily solved using a website like Wolfram Alpha or by solving the simultaneous equations manually. The answer to x2+y2+z2 is a tricky one, but can be easily obtained once the values of x, y, and z are known.
ƒ(x)
A friend of mine showed this to me a few days ago:

x+y+z=0
x3+y3+z3=3
x5+y5+z5=15

x2+y2+z2=?

An answer must be supported with justification (so that I know that you didn't guess and get lucky).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to ask my math teacher :)

ƒ(x) said:
A friend of mine showed this to me a few days ago:

x+y+z=0
x3+y3+z3=3
x5+y5+z5=15

x2+y2+z2=?

An answer must be supported with justification (so that I know that you didn't guess and get lucky).

Unless you can demonstrate that there is a clever shortcut to this problem which would raise it to the level of a brainteaser, this is just a set of simultaneous equations which is easily solvable with, for example, the Wolfram Alpha website.

regor60 said:
Unless you can demonstrate that there is a clever shortcut to this problem which would raise it to the level of a brainteaser, this is just a set of simultaneous equations which is easily solvable with, for example, the Wolfram Alpha website.

I had no idea that such a site even existed.

How do they solve it ?

I got the answer but i cant´t get the values os x, y and z, but i got that x.y.z =
x.y.z=1

Ok...that was prety hard to solve...it took many hours. I hope you have an easier way to get the answer (tricky):
x= 2 cos (20)
y= 2 cos (140)
z= 2 cos (260)
the answer to the question is 6

At a glance:

x = -y-z
x<2 and positive
y not equal z
y and z are negative
x.y.z = 1

OK, I got it...it´s really simple to get the answer to x2+y2+z2=?...
the answer is 6. and you just have to set values to x (positive) y(negative) and z(negative) and calcutale the proportion like: set x=3 y=-2 z=-1, then
^2 = 14 --> ?
^3 = 18 --> 3
^5 = 210 --> 15

so 14 . 18 . 15 = ? . 3 . 210
? = 6

That´s the tricky way...

1. What is the equation for "x2+y2+z2=?"

The equation is used to find the sum of the squares of three numbers, where x, y, and z represent the three numbers.

2. What does the equation "x2+y2+z2=?" mean?

This equation is known as the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. How do you solve "x2+y2+z2=?"

To solve this equation, you need to know the values of x, y, and z. Then, plug in those values into the equation and calculate the sum of their squares. The resulting value will be the solution to the equation.

4. Can the equation "x2+y2+z2=?" be used for any type of numbers?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of numbers, including whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. It can also be used for negative numbers.

5. What are some practical applications of "x2+y2+z2=?"

The Pythagorean theorem, represented by the equation "x2+y2+z2=?", has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to calculate distances, determine angles, and solve geometric problems.