What Is Jerry's Average Speed on His Daily Commute?

• Thread starter nando94
  • Start date
His average speed for the entire trip is 33.333 miles per hour. In summary, Jerry drives 200 miles to work everyday from his house. While going there he drives at 50 mph. While coming back he drives at 25 mph. For the entire trip, Jerry drives a total of 400 miles in 12 hours, giving him an average speed of 33.333 miles per hour. It may be beneficial for Jerry to find a job closer to home or relocate to save time spent on commuting.
nando94
Jerry drives 200 miles to work everyday from his house. While going there he drives at 50 mph. While coming back he drives at 25 mph. What was his average speed for the entire trip?

This question stumped me for 10 min.

Physics news on Phys.org
Out of curiousity, what did you get for the average speed?

nando94 said:
Jerry drives 200 miles to work everyday from his house. While going there he drives at 50 mph. While coming back he drives at 25 mph. What was his average speed for the entire trip?

Yahhh, this question stumps me too since Jerry is driving 4 hours to get to work. Why is Jerry doing a job so far away? Then, 8 hours to drive back home. Jerry spends far too much time driving back and forth to this job. Jerry should find a job closer to home or relocate.

Mark44 said:
Out of curiousity, what did you get for the average speed?

I got 400/12 or 33.333

[2*Speed1*Speed2] / [speed1 + Speed2]

Thats the formula. Another way to do it is 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 25 + 25 + 25 + 25 + 25 + 25 + 25/12 or 400/12

At first I did 50+25/2 = 37.5 but that's the wrong answer since its asking the average for the entire trip. Thats when I realized that I had to add the entire distance traveled and divide it by the number in the set which is the arithmetic mean.

symbolipoint said:
Yahhh, this question stumps me too since Jerry is driving 4 hours to get to work. Why is Jerry doing a job so far away? Then, 8 hours to drive back home. Jerry spends far too much time driving back and forth to this job. Jerry should find a job closer to home or relocate.

haha yeah that's true.

nando94 said:

symbolipoint said:
I love it! You show how to get the answer while appearing to mock the question! Jerry drives a total of 400 miles in 12 hours.

1. What is the best way to approach a tricky math problem?

The best way to approach a tricky math problem is to break it down into smaller parts and work through them one at a time. Start by identifying the key information and variables, and then try to apply any relevant formulas or equations. Don't be afraid to ask for help or look up additional resources if needed.

2. How do I know if I'm on the right track when solving a tricky math problem?

One way to check if you're on the right track is to work backwards from the given answer. Plug in your solution to the original problem and see if it satisfies all of the given conditions. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills in math. Start by working on simpler problems and gradually move on to more challenging ones. It can also be helpful to study and understand different problem-solving strategies, such as drawing diagrams or creating equations.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a tricky math problem?

If you get stuck on a tricky math problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the problem in a different way or consulting with a classmate or teacher for guidance. Don't get discouraged and remember that solving difficult problems takes time and practice.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving tricky math problems?

While there are no shortcuts for solving tricky math problems, there are some helpful tips and tricks that can make the process easier. These may include using logical reasoning, breaking the problem into smaller parts, or looking for patterns and relationships within the problem. However, it's important to always make sure your solutions are accurate and supported by proper calculations.