1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky one - a little reading to do

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given are two parallel lines l and m together with a line n which intersects the line l at
    a point A and the line m at a point B. In addition, a point C is given on the line l such that
    C is not equal to A. For a point D om the line m such that the points C og D are on different sides of the
    line n the line through the points C,D intersects the line n at a point E between A and B.
    Determine the point D such that the sum of the areas of the triangles ACE and BDE is as
    small as possible.

2. Relevant equations

Are there any??

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at this one is.... hmmm....

If you take pont D and move it as close as you can get to point B, then point C would go equally as near to point A. So the areas ACE and BDE are equally small.

I was just wondering if this problem is that simple or am I missing something here?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?