Converting Tricky Parametric Equations into a Single Function | Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter Gagle The Terrible
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, the discussion involves finding a way to convert parametric equations into a single f(x,y) = 0 function, specifically dealing with imaginary roots of the equations. The suggestion is to substitute t = (x-y)/2 and there is no need to solve any quadratics.
Gagle The Terrible
I would like to convert these parametric equations into a single
f(x,y) = 0 function.

X(t) = t^2 + t + 1
Y(t) = t^2 - t +1

In fact, what stops me is the imaginary roots of the parametric polynomials.

Is there a way to get around the seemingly impossible explicit solving of the quadratics to isolate either X or Y ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Note that x - t = y + t (or just subtract y(t) from x(t)).

Last edited:
Gagle The Terrible said:
I would like to convert these parametric equations into a single
f(x,y) = 0 function.

X(t) = t^2 + t + 1
Y(t) = t^2 - t +1

In fact, what stops me is the imaginary roots of the parametric polynomials.

Is there a way to get around the seemingly impossible explicit solving of the quadratics to isolate either X or Y ?

First note that X - Y = 2t, but also notice that these are both quadratic equations so you can solve one of them or the other to find t in terms of X or Y and then substitute this into X - Y = 2t or the equation for the other variable.

You just want to substitute t = (x - y) / 2. There's no need to solve any quadratics.

0rthodontist said:
You just want to substitute t = (x - y) / 2. There's no need to solve any quadratics.

Darn, I guess I should have seen that since I did notice that x - y = 2t.

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express a set of quantities as explicit functions of a number of independent variables, known as parameters.

2. Why are parametric equations useful?

Parametric equations are useful because they allow us to represent complex curves and surfaces in a more simplified way, making it easier to analyze and solve problems involving these shapes.

3. How do you graph a parametric equation?

To graph a parametric equation, you can plot points by substituting different values for the parameters and then connecting these points with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or computer program to plot the equation.

4. What is the difference between a parametric equation and a Cartesian equation?

A parametric equation involves multiple variables, while a Cartesian equation only involves one or two variables. Additionally, parametric equations allow for the representation of more complex shapes, while Cartesian equations are limited to straight lines, circles, and parabolas.

5. Are there any real-life applications of parametric equations?

Yes, parametric equations have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, design curves and surfaces, and create animations and special effects in movies and video games.