Tricky Partial Fraction: How to Express \frac{x^2}{(x-1)(x+1)} in Simple Terms"

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial fraction expansion for the expression x^2/(x-1)(x+1). The final answer is given as 1 + 1/(2(x-1)) - 1/(2(x+1)) and the process of arriving at this answer is shown through steps such as dividing and solving for A and B. The conversation also mentions an alternative method of adding the RHS or using the expression x^2+1-1 to simplify the problem.
Sammon
Would someone be kind enough to show the working for expressing the following in partial fractions:

[tex]
\frac{x^2}{(x-1)(x+1)}
[/tex]

I believe the answer is

[tex]\frac{x^2}{(x-1)(x+1)} \equiv 1 + \frac{1}{2(x-1)} - \frac{1}{2(x+1)}[/tex]

Thanks in advance,
Sammon Jnr

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe the answer is

Well, why not add the three fractions in your answer to see if you get the LHS?

Looks correct. Well, it is correct.

I would interpret this as "yes, this is the answer given but I don't know how to arrive at it."

First, actually divide: x2/(x-1)(x+1)= x2/(x2-1)=
1+ 1/(x-1)(x+1).

Now, we are looking for A, B so that 1/(x-1)(x+1)= A/(x-1)+ B/(x+1).

Multiply both sides by (x-1)(x+1) to get 1= A(x+1)+ B(x-1).

Let x= 1: 1= A(2)+ B(0) so A= 1/2.
Let x=-1: 1= A(0)+ B(-2) so B= -1/2.

Putting all of that together, x2/(x-1)(x+1)= 1+ 1/(2(x-1))- 1/(2(x+1)).

I just noticed you want the working of it ! I would add the RHS as Hurkyl said (but then, you need to know the answer already !), or do

[tex]\frac{x^2}{(x-1)(x+1)} =\frac{x^2+1-1}{(x-1)(x+1)} =
1+\frac{1}{(x-1)(x+1)} = 1 + \frac{ \frac{1}{2}(1+x)- \frac{1}{2}(x-1) }{(x-1)(x+1)}=
1 + \frac{1}{2(x-1)} - \frac{1}{2(x+1)}[/tex]

Many thanks HallsofIvy & humanino!

:smile:

What is a tricky partial fraction?

A tricky partial fraction is a mathematical concept used in calculus and algebra to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions. It involves finding the partial fractions of a fraction with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator.

Why is it called "tricky"?

Tricky partial fractions can be difficult to solve because they may involve fractions with quadratic or higher-order polynomials, which require additional steps to break down. It can also be tricky to determine the correct coefficients for each partial fraction.

What is the process for solving tricky partial fractions?

The process for solving tricky partial fractions involves finding the partial fractions by setting up a system of equations, solving for the unknown coefficients, and then combining the partial fractions to form the original fraction. This process may require factoring, setting up a system of equations, and solving for the unknown coefficients using algebraic techniques.

Are there any tips for solving tricky partial fractions?

One tip for solving tricky partial fractions is to always check for common factors between the numerator and denominator before setting up the system of equations. This can help simplify the process and make it easier to solve. It's also important to be familiar with algebraic techniques such as factoring and solving systems of equations.

Why is understanding tricky partial fractions important?

Understanding tricky partial fractions is important for solving complex equations and integrals in calculus, as well as for solving algebraic equations in other fields of mathematics and science. It also helps in understanding the behavior of functions and their graphs.