1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky problem

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know this sounds simple, but my friend insists this is a problem in his textbook, and I can't solve it:

"Give the equation in standard form ax+by=c of the line through the points (2, -1) and (4,6)"

Don't you need one point for every variable? Isn't the standard form y = mx + b?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2
    [y-(-1)]/(x-2)=[6-(-1)]/(6-2)
    0=7x-2y-16

4. Sep 13, 2004 #3

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you explain a bit more clearly, please?

Are there infinite possible values for A, B, and C? That's the reason I couldn't solve it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  5. Sep 13, 2004 #4
    Point (x,y) is on the line. LHS of the equation find the slope of the line in term of the variable. RHS finds the slope by the 2 given points.

I can't answer your question about the variable a,b and c. the equation comes naturally when it is simplified to the form wanted.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  6. Sep 13, 2004 #5

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get it now, I'm not actually solving for 3 variables, because it can be compressed to the y = mx + c form. We're just using integer values to avoid that nasty 3.5

7. Sep 13, 2004 #6
    If you rearrange the equation you can get to y=(c/b)-(a/b)x which is in the forme y=mx+b

(I hope I'm right)

8. Sep 13, 2004 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The ax+by=c form is a little more general, as you can describe a vertical line this way (when b=0, a<>0). The drawback is your choice of coefficients is no longer unique, x+y=1 describes the same line as 2x+2y=2 and so on. This was your problem, you have infinitely many acceptable solutions, that are all multiples of one another.

You correct this lack of uniqueness in the y=mx+b form, you're essentially forcing the y coefficient to be 1, which is why you can't get vertical lines (m=infinity is not allowed). Which one you call standard form isn't terribly important (y=mx+b is probably the more commonly used one), as long as you know which form you want your line in.

9. Sep 13, 2004 #8

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y = mx + b is called the slope-intercept form, and is probably more "standard" than the standard form ax + by = c.

To solve the problem, find the slope: [tex]m=\frac{6-(-1)}{4-2}=3.5[/tex] and y-intercept by substituting into y=mx+b: [tex]-1=3.5\cdot2+b\rightarrowb=-1-7=-8[/tex], giving [tex]y=3.5x-8[/tex] or [tex]2y-7x=-16[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?