Tricky question involving laws of indices

In summary, to find the value of x in the equation 4x-1 = 1/32, the conversation suggests using the fact that both 4 and 1/32 can be expressed as powers of 2. By simplifying the equation, it can be rewritten as 2x-2 = -5. After solving for x, it is found to be equal to -3/2, which satisfies the original equation. The conversation also mentions checking the solution by plugging it back into the equation.
MadmanMurray
1. Find value of x if:

4x-1 = 1/32

3. I know that both 4 and 1/32 can be expressed as powers of 2 so (22)x-1 = 2-5

Heres what I am not quite sure about
Im just assuming that I multiply that -1 by the power inside the brackets but I am not sure if that's right. Anyhow here's what i got
22x-2 = 2-5

I then eliminated the 2s so I am left with 2x-2 = -5.

doing that in my head I get x = -3/2

plugging that into the equation doesn't work unfortunately.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like it works. If x= -3/2 then 2x-2= -3-2= -5 so the left side is 2-5= 1/32, exactly like the right side.

If you were checking in the original equation...
[tex]4^{-\frac{3}{2}-1}=
4^{-\frac{5}{2}}=
(2^{2})^{-\frac{5}{2}}=
2^{-5}=
\frac{1}{32}[/tex]

Ah yeah I didn't see that it came out to 2^-5 in the end thanks. Was my method right? I think they take marks off u for taking roundabout methods.

1. What are the basic laws of indices?

The basic laws of indices are:
- Multiplying powers with the same base: add the exponents
- Dividing powers with the same base: subtract the exponents
- Raising a power to another power: multiply the exponents
- Negative exponents: move the base to the denominator and change the sign of the exponent
- Fractional exponents: square root the base and use the numerator as the new exponent
- Zero exponents: any number (except 0) raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1
- One exponents: any number raised to the power of 1 is equal to itself

2. How do you simplify expressions involving indices?

To simplify expressions involving indices, use the basic laws of indices to simplify the powers and then combine like terms. Make sure to follow the order of operations, simplifying within parentheses first and then exponents.

3. Can you raise a negative number to a power?

Yes, you can raise a negative number to a power. However, if the power is an odd number, the result will also be negative. If the power is an even number, the result will be positive. For example, (-2)^3 = -8 and (-2)^4 = 16.

4. What is the rule for multiplying powers with different bases but the same exponent?

The rule for multiplying powers with different bases but the same exponent is to multiply the bases and keep the exponent the same. For example, (2^3) x (3^3) = 6^3.

5. How do you simplify expressions with negative exponents?

To simplify expressions with negative exponents, move the base to the denominator and change the sign of the exponent. If there is already a fraction, the negative exponent can be moved to the numerator by changing its sign. For example, (4^-2) = 1/(4^2) = 1/16.