1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Question

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1

JPC

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello
    Its a pretty tricky question ! Help me find the answer so i can finally sleep (i only get the answer when i hand in the question sheets in 3 weeks) :D

->>>>

You walk for 1 hour, and do 5 miles during that hour

Question : show that there exist a time interval of length 30minutes during which you have walked 2.5 miles

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought about writing :

dD = Vi * dt
    where D : distance
    t = time
    (Vi = dP / dt)

And integrating dD between 0 and 1hour. and saying that the whole is equal to 5 miles
    and then separate the integral into 3 ones where one is from 0 to 30 minutes

but it doesn't lead to much conclusions

Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Call M(t) the distance you walk between time t and time t+30 minutes. Think about M(0) and M(30). Is it possible they are both less than 2.5? Is it possible they are both greater than 2.5? M(t) is continuous as t goes from 0 to 30 minutes.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3

JPC

sorry for the late reply, i had an exam, 1 oral test, 2 big homeworks in between :D

Hum, yes we have M(0) + M(30) = 5
    one is necessarily bigger than the other if they are not equal. But then, if one is bigger than the other, how do you justify that there is a 30minutes time interval during which you have walked exactly 2.5 miles ?

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because M(t) is a continuous function for t in [0,30]. Think about using the intermediate value theorem.

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5

JPC

oh, i understand now, thank you :)

if M(0) = a
    M(30) = b

we have a+b = 5
    we suppose 'a' different than 'b'

M(t) continuous on the interval [0, 30]
    so there exists a 't' belonging to R where M(t) = 2.5

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6
    You still haven't proven anything. What you're saying is equivalent to me saying:
    "if M(0) = a
    M(30) = b

we have a+b = 5
    we suppose 'a' different than 'b'

M(t) continuous on the interval [0, 30]
    so there exists a dog named ralph, somewhere"

Why is this the case?

8. Feb 22, 2009 #7

JPC

oh, this is not what i would write, first of all because i am in France ( i would write it in french), and finally because i just quickly resumed it here.

I will of course clearly show i have verified all the hypothesis of the intermediate value theorem. And i better do, my maths professor is more rigorous than my calculator :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook