Tricky questions

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
256bits
Gold Member
OK Here's another one.

BONUS. Worth 10 points.
If a person can run a mile in 4 minutes,
How long does it take 5 people to run a mile?
4 minutes

If you got that one correct, you can attempt this one.
MEGA BONUS: Triple your score.
Beware. An incorrect answer and you deduct triple score points.
If a man can dg a hole in 1 hour, how long does it take 10 men to dig a hole?
an hour -

Likes Stavros Kiri
OK Here's another one.

BONUS. Worth 10 points.
If a person can run a mile in 4 minutes,
How long does it take 5 people to run a mile?
4min
If you got that one correct, you can attempt this one.
MEGA BONUS: Triple your score.
Beware. An incorrect answer and you deduct triple score points.
If a man can dg a hole in 1 hour, how long does it take 10 men to dig a hole?
It depends whether it's the same hole or different ... (and if they dig at the same rate or not) [Thus could be 6min or 1hr ... (?)]

256bits
Gold Member
4min

It depends whether it's the same hole or different ... (and if they dig at the same rate or not) [Thus could be 6min or 1hr ... (?)]
Jeez. I don't know if you now get the TRIPLE Bonus , or NEGATIVE Bonus .:confused: or both, if it all equals out with two answers.:biggrin:

Jeez. I don't know if you now get the TRIPLE Bonus , or NEGATIVE Bonus .:confused: or both, if it all equals out with two answers.:biggrin:
Lol
Whatever you decide. You're the boss ...
[But since my reply covered the answer ... ...]

Likes 256bits
There are simple, mundane sentences in the English language that can be correctly spoken but not written. Give an example.
Nice one. I will try to add a complementary question to that compliment: There are simple sentences in the English language that are sensible when written but not when spoken. Give an example.

How do you pronounce "Qwfwq"?
What is the name of the œ symbol?

(I feel like there might be a more compelling way to word the question, or that there might be more compelling examples.)

Show that a grammatically correct sentence in English with the word "and" in it five times in succession, with no other words in between.

A signmaker is asked to make a sign for a bakery, with the phrase "Pies and Cakes" on the sign.
The signmaker asks the baker, "How much space should I leave between Pies and and and and and Cakes?

Likes Stavros Kiri, BillTre, Fig Neutron and 1 other person
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are simple sentences in the English language that are sensible when written but not when spoken. Give an example.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

Likes cnh1995, 256bits and Stavros Kiri
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.
There are two kinds of people - those who are sometimes too kind and those who sometimes are kind too.

Likes 256bits, Stavros Kiri, berkeman and 1 other person
There are two kinds of people - those who are sometimes too kind and those who sometimes are kind too.
There are two kinds of people, those who believe there are two kinds of people, and those who don't believe it.

Likes Stavros Kiri and berkeman
Add punctuation to make this make sense:
Bob, where Alice had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

Bob, where Alice had had "had," had had "had had." "Had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Show that a grammatically correct sentence in English with the word "and" in it five times in succession, with no other words in between.

A signmaker is asked to make a sign for a bakery, with the phrase "Pies and Cakes" on the sign.
The signmaker asks the baker, "How much space should I leave between Pies and and and and and Cakes?
Add punctuation to make this make sense:
Bob, where Alice had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

Bob, where Alice had had "had," had had "had had." "Had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.
Ooh! 11! That's even better than my version, which only got up to 8 hads.