1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Series Questions

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    My professor was going over some powers relating to series, and power series. He came across the problem below which he didn't even know how to solve. I am trying to figure out how to solve it, but can't get anywhere. Does anyone know how to approach this problem?

Express this series as a function of x.
    [tex]\sum n^2x^n [/tex] from n=1 to [tex]\infty[/tex]

So, f(x) = ?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

come on. who's your professor, george w bush?

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

Haelfix

Science Advisor

I've blanked once or twice when teaching a class before. Its embarrasing, particularly when its easy, but I've seen it happen to field medal winners

5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    Woops sorry guys. I forgot to post the actually question. The guestion is to express that series as a function of x.

6. Oct 24, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Quite simple really, [tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n^2 x^n [/tex].

Looking for a nicer (ie closed form) answer? There is no such closed form answer, unless you are looking for values of x where [itex]|x| <1[/itex], in which case there may be.

7. Oct 24, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not just that there is no "closed form answer"- that series only converges for |x|< 1.

8. Oct 24, 2007 #7
    I am not looking for the radius of convergence. I am looking how to epxress that series as a function.

9. Oct 25, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I was alluding to that point =]

Don't you like my answer?

10. Oct 27, 2007 #9
    Just to see if the summation converges to a single function, I Maple-ed it, and Maple gives a solution to [tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n^2 x^n[/tex]. HINT: It is the quotient of a quadratic polynomial and a cubic polynomial.

Perhaps this identity can be of some help (from Wikipedia):
    [tex]\sum_{i=0}^n i^2 x^i = \frac{x}{(1-x)^3} (1+x-(n+1)^2x^n+(2n^2+2n-1)x^{n+1}-n^2x^{n+2})[/tex].

This simpler identity helps too (from here):
    [tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty i^2 x^i = \frac{x^2+x}{(1-x)^3}[/tex]

EDIT: Do a little manipulation to the above identity, and you'll end up with your solution.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  11. Nov 5, 2007 #10
    My word,
    1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + .. . + x^n + ... = (1-x)^(-1)

differentiating and multiplying both sides by x we have,

1+ 2x^2 + 3x^3 + ... + nx^n + ... = x (1-x)^(-2)
    do the same again and you'll have a result valid inside the unit disc with the origin as a centre.

12. Nov 5, 2007 #11
    Can one go backwards from the series to the quotient of polynomials? Or must one have to know that each are equivalent from experience?

13. Nov 5, 2007 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here's how to derive it:
    [tex]f(x)=x\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}n^{2}x^{n-1}=x\frac{d}{dx}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}nx^{n}=x\frac{d}{dx}x\frac{d}{dx}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}x^{n}=x\frac{d}{dx}x\frac{d}{dx}\frac{x}{1-x}[/tex]

Now, do the differentiations, and get the rational representation of f(x).

14. Nov 6, 2007 #13
    Well we need an infinite series, S satisfying the following relation,

S = 1 + xS

Not all that far off, it can be more 'traditionally' derived by considering the finite geometric progression and evaluating the limit. I've provided a simple derivation that can be easily followed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?