1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Summation

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have this nasty summation and I am close to finding a way to calculate it with my graphing calculator. I just need to iron out the details. If I can rewrite the summation on terms of [itex]\bar{x}[/itex], [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] and [itex]\sum x_iy_i[/itex] I will be all set. I will explain these terms in a moment. First, here is the sum:

[tex]S_{xy} = \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})(y_i - \bar{y})[/tex]

Where [itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]y_i[/itex] are the x and y (sample) averages.

If I do out the multiplication I get

[tex]S_{xy} =
    \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})(y_i - \bar{y})[/tex]

[tex] = \sum x_iy_i - x_i\bar{y} - y_i\bar{x} + \bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

[tex] = \sum x_iy_i - \bar{y}\sum x_i - \bar{x}\sum y_i +\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

Now I it is just the last term [itex]\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/itex] that is bothering me. I think the answer is obvious, but I would like confirmation: is the expression [itex]\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/itex] identical to [itex]n*(\bar{x}\bar{y})[/itex] ?

It must be. I don't know why I am doubting this. :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes

[tex]\sum\bar{x}\bar{y} = n\bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

Also remember that

[tex]\sum x_i = n \bar{x}[/tex]

[tex]\sum y_i = n \bar{y}[/tex]

So what does

[tex]- \bar{y}\sum x_i - \bar{x}\sum y_i +\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

become?

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3
    Oh neat. Looks like it reduces to [itex]-n\bar{x}\bar{y}[/itex]

Yes?

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes

Which can also be written as (1/n)∑xi∑yi

6. Aug 16, 2010 #5
    I like this. If I could write it all on terms of xbar, ybar, and n, that would be best. I think that the sum(xi*yi) term can be written in terms of these. I'll post back I'm a moment. Thanks again!!

Hmmm... I am not seeing an easy way to write [itex]\sum x_iy_i[/itex] in terms of [itex]\bar{x}[/itex], [itex]\bar{x}[/itex], and n. Perhaps there isn't one?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. Aug 17, 2010 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

"I am not seeing an easy way to write in terms of [itex] \bar x[/itex], [itex] \bar y [/itex] , and n. Perhaps there isn't one?"

No, there is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook