Tricky track/friction problem (again)

• Thread starter Ravnus9
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a circular track hanging vertically in the air with a collar that weighs 1.2 kg. The track has a radius of 0.18 meters and a point labeled C at the top where the collar starts with an initial velocity of 0. Point A is placed at 90 degrees from C on the unit circle. The collar has a spring attached to it with its origin 0.075 meters higher than the center of the circle. The spring's uncompressed/unstretched length is 0.105 meters and its spring constant is 300N/M. The track and collar have a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.2, meaning that as the spring stretches, the normal force from the track increases
Ravnus9
Ok, so i posted this problem last night and got a couple of replies, but sadly no real help. I already have tried to use lagrange equations to solve the problem, and F=ma... i just need help setting up an integral i mean with the lagrange equations i can't figure out how to incorporate the friction correctly... i mess it all up basically... so i am gunna copy and paste the problem again... please help if you can

a circular track hanging vertically in the air. Oh this track is a collar that weighs 1.2 kg. The track has a radius of .18 meters. at the top of the track there is a point labled C. Point C is where the collar started, and at t=0, V-initial equals 0. at 90 degrees from C, in other words theta=0 on a unit circle, there is a point A. You are looking for the Velocity of the collar when it reaches A.attached to the collar is a spring. the spring has its origin .075 meters higher than the center of the circle... or in other words .105 meters down from point C. The springs uncompressed/unstretched length is .105 meters... so it is unstretched when it is at C. And its spring constant equal 300N/M.the track and the collar have a coefficient of kenetic friction between them of .2. so basically, as the spring stretches farther the normal force from the track increases, thus increasing the amount of friction force.

the collar is just a metal piece that fits onto the track and can't come off of it... so the track is a circular metal tube and the collar is just a slightly larger in diameter piece of tubing that is fitted around the track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ravnus9 said:
a circular track hanging vertically in the air. Oh this track is a collar that weighs 1.2 kg. The track has a radius of .18 meters. at the top of the track there is a point labled C. Point C is where the collar started, and at t=0, V-initial equals 0. at 90 degrees from C, in other words theta=0 on a unit circle, there is a point A. You are looking for the Velocity of the collar when it reaches A.attached to the collar is a spring. the spring has its origin .075 meters higher than the center of the circle... or in other words .105 meters down from point C. The springs uncompressed/unstretched length is .105 meters... so it is unstretched when it is at C. And its spring constant equal 300N/M.the track and the collar have a coefficient of kenetic friction between them of .2. so basically, as the spring stretches farther the normal force from the track increases, thus increasing the amount of friction force.

I think you should use just Newton's second law. Decompose all force components tangential and normal to the track, and express them with the angle alpha. The resultant of all the normal components should give up the centripetal force, mv^2/R inward. The sum of all tangential components is m*dv/dt. The spring is a bit tricky, but you can express its length with alpha, and from that you get the magnitude of the force exerted by the spring. See the picture attached. Show what equations you got and we try to do it further.
Try to use tex when writing in formulas. It is quite easy!

Last edited:
Ravnus9 said:
Ok, so i posted this problem last night and got a couple of replies, but sadly no real help. I already have tried to use lagrange equations to solve the problem, and F=ma... i just need help setting up an integral i mean with the lagrange equations i can't figure out how to incorporate the friction correctly... i mess it all up basically... so i am gunna copy and paste the problem again... please help if you can

the collar is just a metal piece that fits onto the track and can't come off of it... so the track is a circular metal tube and the collar is just a slightly larger in diameter piece of tubing that is fitted around the track.

You should post a drawing or scheme of your problem. Sure the employing of Lagrange equations is easy for that problem, because it's an energetic method. But please, post a figure of it.

1. What is a tricky track/friction problem?

A tricky track/friction problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of an object on a track or surface with varying levels of friction. It often requires using mathematical equations and principles to determine the forces and accelerations involved.

2. Why are tricky track/friction problems important?

Tricky track/friction problems are important because they help us understand how objects move on different surfaces and how friction affects their motion. This knowledge is essential in many real-life situations, such as designing vehicles or predicting the movement of objects in sports or games.

3. What factors affect the friction on a track or surface?

The factors that affect friction on a track or surface include the type of material, the roughness of the surface, the weight and shape of the object, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances that may reduce or increase friction.

4. How can we solve tricky track/friction problems?

To solve tricky track/friction problems, we need to use Newton's laws of motion, along with other principles such as the coefficient of friction and the normal force. We also need to accurately define the problem, draw a free-body diagram, and apply the relevant equations to determine the forces and accelerations involved.

5. What are some real-life applications of tricky track/friction problems?

Tricky track/friction problems have many real-life applications, such as designing vehicles with optimal traction, predicting the motion of objects in sports like ice skating or skiing, and understanding the behavior of machinery and equipment in different environments. They are also important in fields like engineering, physics, and sports science.