Solving the Challenge: Finding the Angle Between Two Lines

• Thread starter Rocko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving angles using the law of sines. The participants discuss various equations they have found, but are unable to find the values for angles 2 and 3. One person suggests extending the sides of the triangle to form a new triangle, which can help find the values for angles 2 and 3.
Rocko
Here is a file i created of a problem I was asked if see if you have what it takes:

Attachments

• Triangles.bmp
    13.3 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you don't find this too little help but first fill in all the angles you know. After that, law of sines is your friend.

I believe that to be so, i just haven't been able to find the angle 3 or angle 2, but maybe i am overlooking something.i will study it some more.

You can find 2 equations that involve angles 2 and 3, then you have two equations and two unknowns

Oh Really, i don't see it! Every equation i come up with has an extra variable.

i have found:
angle 3 + angle 2 = 60degrees
DA sin(95deg)=1000sin(angle2)
or DP sin(120)=1000sin(angle2)
and DP sin (60deg)=DA sin((95deg)

and similar for angle3

OK...do this:

Extend out the sides AB and DC until they meet. Then you have another triange there...you can find what that angle is using a couple of equations, then you can use it to find angles 2 and 3

By "that angle", I am referring to the new angle formed by AB and CD :)

1. What is the purpose of "Can You Solve This Challenge?"

The purpose of "Can You Solve This Challenge?" is to test and challenge one's problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It presents a problem or puzzle that requires logical reasoning and creative thinking to find a solution.

2. How difficult are the challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?"

The difficulty level of the challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?" can vary. Some may be easier and more straightforward, while others may be more complex and require more time and effort to solve. However, the challenges are designed to be solvable and not impossible.

3. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required to solve the challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?"

The challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?" do not require any specific skills or knowledge. However, having a good understanding of logic, critical thinking, and problem-solving techniques can be helpful in finding a solution.

4. Can the challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?" be solved by a group or team?

Yes, the challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?" can be solved by a group or team. In fact, collaborating with others can often lead to more creative and efficient solutions.

5. Is there a time limit for solving the challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?"

There is no specific time limit for solving the challenges in "Can You Solve This Challenge?" However, depending on the complexity of the challenge, it may take longer for some individuals or teams to find a solution. It is up to the individual or group to decide on a time limit for themselves.