1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Triangle

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1
    Here is a file i created of a problem I was asked if see if you have what it takes:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    I hope you don't find this too little help but first fill in all the angles you know. After that, law of sines is your friend.

4. Oct 29, 2004 #3
    I believe that to be so, i just haven't been able to find the angle 3 or angle 2, but maybe i am overlooking something.i will study it some more.

5. Oct 30, 2004 #4
    You can find 2 equations that involve angles 2 and 3, then you have two equations and two unknowns

6. Oct 30, 2004 #5
    Oh Really, i don't see it! Every equation i come up with has an extra variable.

i have found:
    angle 3 + angle 2 = 60degrees
    DA sin(95deg)=1000sin(angle2)
    or DP sin(120)=1000sin(angle2)
    and DP sin (60deg)=DA sin((95deg)

and similiar for angle3

7. Oct 30, 2004 #6
    OK...do this:

Extend out the sides AB and DC until they meet. Then you have another triange there....you can find what that angle is using a couple of equations, then you can use it to find angles 2 and 3

8. Oct 30, 2004 #7
    By "that angle", I am refering to the new angle formed by AB and CD :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?