Derivative of tan^2(sin(2x+1)^6) using chain rule | Tricky trig homework

• Thread starter tunabeast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, to calculate the derivative of tan^{2}(sin(2x+1)^{6}), use the chain rule by letting u = 2x+1 and applying the formula \frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}. This results in 24tan(sin(2x+1)^11).
tunabeast

Homework Statement

Calculate the derivative of tan[tex]^{2}[/tex](sin(2x+1)[tex]^{6}[/tex])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume this uses chain rule, by do not see how tan[tex]^{2}[/tex] can be derrived.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you differentiate (tan(something))2?

I'm not actually sure i can, this is the first time i'v come across this kind of differentiation question I'm afraid

If you want to do it in steps, try substituting u = tan(sin(2x + 1)6)

The derivative of u2 where u is a function of something, say x, is

[tex]2u\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

Now you have an easier derivative (du/dx). Do this for each part of the chain.

Use the chain rule. For example, consider the function f, which is a function of x, and which in turn is a function of t. If you want to differentiate, say [f(x(t))], use the chain rule...

[tex]\frac{df}{dt} = \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}.[/tex]

Your problem is more like f(y(x(t))), but the principle remains the same.

tan^2(sin(2x+1)^6)//let u=2x+1
tan^2(sin(u)^6)//use chain rule
2tan(sin(u)^6)6sin(u)^5u'
2tan(sin(2x+1)^6)(6sin(2x+1)^5)2
24tan(sin(2x+1)^6)(sin(2x+1)^5)
24tan(sin(2x+1)^11)

Last edited:

1. How do I find the derivative of tan^2(sin(2x+1)^6)?

To find the derivative of tan^2(sin(2x+1)^6), we will use the chain rule. First, we will rewrite the function as (tan(sin(2x+1))^6)^2. Then, we can use the power rule and the chain rule to find the derivative: 12(tan(sin(2x+1))^5 * cos(2x+1) * 2cos(2x+1) * sec^2(sin(2x+1)).

2. What is the chain rule and when is it used?

The chain rule is a calculus rule used to find the derivative of composite functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. The chain rule is used whenever we have a function within a function.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in using the chain rule to find the derivative?

To use the chain rule to find the derivative, we first rewrite the function as the outer function evaluated at the inner function. Then, we use the power rule to find the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function. Finally, we multiply these two derivatives together to get the final answer.

4. How do I know when to use the chain rule?

You should use the chain rule whenever you have a function within a function. For example, if your function is f(x) = (g(x))^2, then you will need to use the chain rule to find the derivative. Additionally, if your function is in the form f(g(x)), then the chain rule will also need to be used.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for using the chain rule?

One tip for using the chain rule is to always remember to find the derivative of the outer function first, and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. It may also be helpful to rewrite the function in a simpler form, such as f(x) = (g(x))^n, before applying the chain rule. Additionally, practicing different examples and problems can help improve understanding and application of the chain rule.