Tricky Trig Function Find the eqn Help

In summary, the equation of a sine function with a vertical displacement of 2 units down, a horizontal phase shift of pi/3 to the right, a period of pi/6, reflection in the y-axis, and an amplitude of 3 is y = 3sin[-12(x-pi/3)] - 2.
aisha
Find the equation of a sine function that has a vertical displacement 2 units down, a horizontal phase shift pi/3 to the right, a period of pi/6, reflection in the y-axis and the amplitude of 3.

my answer [tex] y=3\sin [-12(x+\frac {\pi} {3})] -2 [/tex]

is this what you get?

Physics news on Phys.org
A sine wave function can be expressed generally as:

[tex] f(x)=A\sin (\frac{2\pi x}{T}+ \theta}) + C [/tex]

where A is peak to peak amplitude, T is period (or 1/T = frequency f), theta is phase shift (horizontal), and C is the vertical displacement.

P.S. Your original question. Having the function be both even (reflected about the y-axis), and also forcing a phase-shift generally doesn't make sense (given you want a continuous function). Having both conditions satisfied would be purely coincidental.

Edit: I forgot to note, when your theta is positive, the phase shift wil be to the left. A negative theta will result in a shift to the right.

Last edited:
I think it should be pi/36 instead of pi/3 although I could be wrong.

Anyone else get the same answer as me?

At first glance it looks OK. The only thing I found is that for a phase shift to the right, it would be x-pi/3 rather than x+pi/3.

1. What is a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the sides and angles of a right triangle. The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do you find the equation for a tricky trigonometric function?

The equation for a tricky trigonometric function can be found by using the given values for the sides and angles of a right triangle and applying the appropriate trigonometric function. It may also involve using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation.

3. What are some common strategies for solving tricky trigonometric functions?

Some common strategies for solving tricky trigonometric functions include using trigonometric identities, drawing a right triangle to visualize the problem, and breaking down the problem into smaller parts.

4. Can you provide an example of a tricky trigonometric function and how to solve it?

One example of a tricky trigonometric function is: sin(2x) + cos(x) = 1. To solve this, we can use the double angle identity for sine (sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)) to rewrite the equation as 2sin(x)cos(x) + cos(x) = 1. Then, we can factor out cos(x) to get cos(x)(2sin(x) + 1) = 1. Finally, we can solve for sin(x) by dividing both sides by 2sin(x) + 1, giving us sin(x) = 1/2. From there, we can find x by using the inverse sine function and solve for both possible values of x.

5. How can understanding trigonometric functions be useful in real-world applications?

Trigonometric functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to model and solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the height of a building, or the position of stars in the night sky.