1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig and Integrals

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1
    Trig and Integrals!!

Hi there, this is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can help me out, I'm working on an assignment with integrals and while I can manage workng out the number versions of the question just fine I've now encountered Trig functions in integrals and I've hit a brick wall. Can anyone possibly help me get this stuff started? I need to know how to do this for my exam weeks next week. Thanks for any and all help.

tan^5x Sec^3X dx

Why must trigs be so painful?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2
    try to apply the trigonometic identity
    tan^2x +1 =sec^2x

Also remember that the integral of secxtanx is secx and that the integral of sec^2x is tanx.

There are actually methods which are helpful in solving trigonometic identities (at least, I was taught them when I was taking the calculus series), I can't remember them all right now. It should be in your calc book.

hope that helps

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  4. Aug 29, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, my approach to almost any problem involving trig functions is to rewrite in terms of sine and cosine only!
    [tex]tan^5(x) Sec^3(X)= \frac{sin^5(x)}{cos^5(x)}\frac{1}{cos^5(x)}= \frac{sin^5(x)}{cos^8(x)}[/tex]
    Since that involves an odd power of sin(x), Rewrite the integral as
    [tex]\int\tan^5(x)sec^3(x)dx= \int\frac{sin^4(x)}{cos^8(x)}sin(x)dx=\int\frac{(1-cos^2(x))^4}{cos^8(x)}sin(x)dx[tex]
    Now, let u= cos(x) so that du= -sin(x)dx and the integral becomes
    [tex]\int\frac{(u^2- 1)^4}{u^8}du[/tex]

5. Aug 29, 2006 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Or as island-boy has pointed out. When you need to tackle an integral with the product of odd power of tan, and a sec (the power of sec can be even or odd) function you can use the fact that:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} \sec x = \tan x \sec x[/tex]
    And the Trig Identity: tan2x + 1 = sec2x Or tan2x = sec2x - 1
    It goes like this:
    [tex]\tan ^ 5 x \sec ^3 x dx = \int (\tan ^ 4 x \sec ^ 2 x) (\tan x \sec x) dx[/tex]
    Now make the substitution: u = sec x, and see if you can finish the problem. :)

6. Aug 30, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was going to point out a stupid error, then realized I was the one who wrote it! Okay, so I'll just point out a typo!
    I wrote:
    In fact, since [itex]1- cos^2(x)= sin^2(x)[/itex], [itex]sin^4(x)= (1- cos^2(x))^2[/itex], not [itex](1- cos^2(x))^4[/itex]
    Now, let u= cos(x) so that du= -sin(x)dx and the integral becomes[tex]\int\frac{(u^2- 1)^2}{u^8}du[/tex]

7. Sep 1, 2006 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get

[tex] \int \tan^{5}x \sec^{3} \ dx =-\int \frac{\left(1-u^{2}\right)^{2}}{u^{8}} \ du [/tex] with [itex] u=cos x [/itex]

which is a little different from what HofIvy wrote.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?