Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trig derivative

1. May 27, 2006 #1
    What is the derivative of [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex]?

Also, would [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] equal 0 or infinity?

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2
    Please post your attempt(s) in finding it.

The cosine function can have values only within the interval [-1,1], and has the value 0 for certain values of x. (an example in this case: [tex] x = \frac{2}{\pi} [/tex])

4. May 27, 2006 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

if you put: x=1/2pi*n
    you get cos' (2pi*n)=(-2pi)sin(1/x)

5. May 27, 2006 #4
    I attempted to use the chain rule and I got [tex]-\frac{sin}{x^2}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex]

I'm trying to solve a limit where [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^5cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right][/tex].

So I'm using Indeterminate forms and L'Hopital's rule to try and solve it.

6. May 27, 2006 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

my mistake it should be:
    (1/x^2)sin(1/x)

edit:
    about the limit, i don't think it exists, cause as i said it's cos y wher y approaches infinity, which is not defined.

7. May 27, 2006 #6
    [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}sin(\frac{1}{x}) [/tex] is correct. The two minus's cancel.

EDIT: Stupid me...getting this Latex all messed up! Sorry. Rewrite that as
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^4\frac{cos\left{(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right}{\frac{1}{x}}][/tex]

8. May 27, 2006 #7
    Alright, thanks for the first part.

So [tex]\frac{1}{x}, x = 0[/tex], would be infinity and so, [tex]sin(\infty)[/tex] and [tex]cos(\infty)[/tex] would be indeterminate?

9. May 27, 2006 #8
    I'm really sorry. As I said I'm getting both the logic and the LATEX wrong.:redface: I'll let someone better tackle this while I go hide my face from the public.

10. May 27, 2006 #9

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Err, sorry to interrupt you guys, but why can't it (i.e the limit) exist? :confused:

11. May 27, 2006 #10
    I'm back to embarrass myself, again. The limit exists and, if I'm correct, it is zero.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook