1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig derivative

1. May 27, 2006 #1
    What is the derivative of [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex]?

Also, would [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] equal 0 or infinity?

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2
    Please post your attempt(s) in finding it.

The cosine function can have values only within the interval [-1,1], and has the value 0 for certain values of x. (an example in this case: [tex] x = \frac{2}{\pi} [/tex])

4. May 27, 2006 #3
    if you put: x=1/2pi*n
    you get cos' (2pi*n)=(-2pi)sin(1/x)

5. May 27, 2006 #4
    I attempted to use the chain rule and I got [tex]-\frac{sin}{x^2}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex]

I'm trying to solve a limit where [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^5cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right][/tex].

So I'm using Indeterminate forms and L'Hopital's rule to try and solve it.

6. May 27, 2006 #5
    my mistake it should be:
    (1/x^2)sin(1/x)

edit:
    about the limit, i don't think it exists, cause as i said it's cos y wher y approaches infinity, which is not defined.

7. May 27, 2006 #6
    [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}sin(\frac{1}{x}) [/tex] is correct. The two minus's cancel.

EDIT: Stupid me...getting this Latex all messed up! Sorry. Rewrite that as
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^4\frac{cos\left{(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right}{\frac{1}{x}}][/tex]

8. May 27, 2006 #7
    Alright, thanks for the first part.

So [tex]\frac{1}{x}, x = 0[/tex], would be infinity and so, [tex]sin(\infty)[/tex] and [tex]cos(\infty)[/tex] would be indeterminate?

9. May 27, 2006 #8
    I'm really sorry. As I said I'm getting both the logic and the LATEX wrong.:redface: I'll let someone better tackle this while I go hide my face from the public.

10. May 27, 2006 #9

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Err, sorry to interrupt you guys, but why can't it (i.e the limit) exist? :confused:

11. May 27, 2006 #10
    I'm back to embarrass myself, again. The limit exists and, if I'm correct, it is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?