Simplifying the Derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first derivative of a given function and the attempt to simplify it further. The solution is provided and it is mentioned that the program being used may have limitations.
temaire

Homework Statement

Find the first derivative of the function [tex]y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my answer:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{48sin[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]}{7(8t-7)^{\frac{13}{7}}}[/tex]

How can I simplify this further?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't simplify it in any significant way. Just leave it as it is.

Dick said:
You can't simplify it in any significant way. Just leave it as it is.

Well the thing is, I'm using a program called MathXL, and when I try to submit this answer, it rejects it.

So you think the program is just malfunctioning? I doubt this because a friend of mine had the same problem as well.

I know your answer is correct, even if the machine doesn't.

The answer is correct, but it looks like they wanted all the exponents to be positive. I put this in, and got it right.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{48sin[\frac{1}{(8t-7)^{\frac{6}{7}}}]}{7(8t-7)^{\frac{13}{7}}}[/tex]

Good job. Shows you the limitations of the program. I really wish good answers weren't subjected to this hoop jumping.

What is the formula for the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]?

The formula for the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}] is given by:
y' = -8\cdot \cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]\cdot \sin[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]\cdot \frac{-6}{7}\cdot (8t-7)^{\frac{-13}{7}}

How do you simplify the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]?

To simplify the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}], you can use the chain rule and the power rule for derivatives. This will result in the simplified form:
y' = \frac{48\cdot (8t-7)^{\frac{-13}{7}}\cdot \sin[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}] + 8\cdot (8t-7)^{\frac{-12}{7}}\cdot \cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]}{7}

What is the significance of the exponent in the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]?

The exponent in the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}] is -6/7, which is the negative of the exponent in the original function. This is because the derivative of a function raised to a negative exponent is equal to the negative of the exponent multiplied by the derivative of the function.

Can the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}] be written in a different form?

Yes, the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}] can be written in a different form using trigonometric identities, such as the double angle formula for cosine. It can also be written as a product of two functions:
y' = -\frac{6}{7}\cdot \frac{\sin[2(8t-7)]}{(8t-7)^{\frac{13}{7}}}

What is the geometric interpretation of the derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]?

The derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}] represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at any given point. It also represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point. In geometric terms, it is the measure of how steep or flat the curve is at a particular point.