1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig derivative

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the first derivative of the function [tex]y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}][/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my answer:
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{48sin[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]}{7(8t-7)^{\frac{13}{7}}}[/tex]

How can I simplify this further?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't simplify it in any significant way. Just leave it as it is.

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3
    Well the thing is, I'm using a program called MathXL, and when I try to submit this answer, it rejects it.

5. Oct 31, 2009 #4
    So you think the program is just malfunctioning? I doubt this because a friend of mine had the same problem as well.

6. Nov 1, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know your answer is correct, even if the machine doesn't.

7. Nov 1, 2009 #6
    The answer is correct, but it looks like they wanted all the exponents to be positive. I put this in, and got it right.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{48sin[\frac{1}{(8t-7)^{\frac{6}{7}}}]}{7(8t-7)^{\frac{13}{7}}}[/tex]

8. Nov 1, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good job. Shows you the limitations of the program. I really wish good answers weren't subjected to this hoop jumping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook