1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Equation

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    a) Use the special triangles and the CAST rule to solve the equation 2sinx + [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] = 0 for the domain interval 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\geq[/tex] 360.

b) What feature of the graph, in the form y = asinx + b, would show the solutions?

My Answers:

a) sinx = -[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2
    x = -60 degrees

180 + 60 = 240 degrees
    360 - 60 = 300 degrees

b) Can anybody give me a clue as to what this is asking? I have absolutely no idea :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For b, think about where the graph of y = 2sinx + sqrt(3) crosses the x-axis. I think that's what the problem is getting at.

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3
    This is what I was thinking of as the graph will cross x at 4Pi/3 and 5Pi/3, so I was thinking that the feature to show the solution would be the x-intercepts.

Is this correct? I originally thought this but then was confused by the words "feature of the graph"

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

An x-intercept is a feature of a graph. Again, I think this is what the question is getting at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook