Solving for x in arcsin+arctan=π/2

• Thread starter Appleton
  • Start date
Thanks for your help.In summary, the given equation can be simplified by recognizing that α and β are complementary angles, leading to a simplified equation with only one variable, x. Solving for x gives the solutions x=0 or x=1, with x=0 being the only valid solution.
Appleton

Homework Statement

[itex]\ arcsin \frac{x}{x-1} + 2 arctan \frac{1}{x+1} = \frac{π}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if [itex]\ arcsin\frac{x}{(x-1)} = α [/itex]

then [itex] sin α = \frac{x}{(x-1)}[/itex]

if [itex]2 arctan\frac{1}{x+1} = β[/itex]

then [itex]tan(\frac{β}{2}) = \frac{1}{(x+1)}[/itex]

[itex]tan(β) = \frac{2\frac{1}{x+1}}{1-(\frac{1}{x+1})^2}[/itex]

[itex]tan(β) = \frac{2(x+1)}{x(x+2)}[/itex]

[itex]α + β = \frac{π}{2}[/itex]

[itex]sin(α + β) = 1[/itex]

[itex]sin(α + β) = sinαcosβ + cosαsinβ[/itex]

[itex]cosβ = \frac{x(x+2)}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

[itex]sinβ = \frac{(2(x+1))}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

[itex]cosα = \frac{\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2}}{(x-1)}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

[itex](\frac{x}{(x-1)})(\frac{x(x+2)}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}) + (\frac{\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2}}{(x-1)})(\frac{(2(x+1))}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}) = 1[/itex]

[itex]\frac{x^2(x+2) + (\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2)}(2(x+1))}{(x-1)(\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2})} = 1[/itex]

[itex]x^2(x+2) + (\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2})(2(x+1)) = (x-1)(\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2})[/itex]

At this point I figure I half made an error because I can't see a fruitful direction in which to progress and it feels a bit messy compared to the other problems in the exercise.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't figured the answer myself, but I have a couple of comments:

Appleton said:
[itex]\cos β = \frac{x(x+2)}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

[itex]\sinβ = \frac{(2(x+1))}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem
The denominators here will simplify into an irreducible quadratic.

Appleton said:
[itex]\cos α = \frac{\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2}}{(x-1)}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem
TBH, I don't know if this will be helpful, but the numerator can be simplified a bit (although you won't lose the square root).

Appleton said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\ arcsin \frac{x}{x-1} + 2 arctan \frac{1}{x+1} = \frac{π}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if [itex]\ arcsin\frac{x}{(x-1)} = α [/itex]

then [itex] sin α = \frac{x}{(x-1)}[/itex]

if [itex]2 arctan\frac{1}{x+1} = β[/itex]

then [itex]tan(\frac{β}{2}) = \frac{1}{(x+1)}[/itex]

[itex]tan(β) = \frac{2\frac{1}{x+1}}{1-(\frac{1}{x+1})^2}[/itex]

[itex]tan(β) = \frac{2(x+1)}{x(x+2)}[/itex]

[itex]α + β = \frac{π}{2}[/itex]

[itex]sin(α + β) = 1[/itex]

[itex]sin(α + β) = sinαcosβ + cosαsinβ[/itex]

[itex]cosβ = \frac{x(x+2)}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

[itex]sinβ = \frac{(2(x+1))}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

[itex]cosα = \frac{\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2}}{(x-1)}[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

[itex](\frac{x}{(x-1)})(\frac{x(x+2)}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}) + (\frac{\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2}}{(x-1)})(\frac{(2(x+1))}{\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2}}) = 1[/itex]

[itex]\frac{x^2(x+2) + (\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2)}(2(x+1))}{(x-1)(\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2})} = 1[/itex]

[itex]x^2(x+2) + (\sqrt{(x-1)^2 - x^2})(2(x+1)) = (x-1)(\sqrt{(x(x+2))^2 + (2(x+1))^2})[/itex]

At this point I figure I half made an error because I can't see a fruitful direction in which to progress and it feels a bit messy compared to the other problems in the exercise.

You were on the right track at this point:

##α + β = \frac{π}{2}##

but the next step was wrong. Can you think of something better to do here?

Hint: Don't make it any more complicated than it already is.

Use sin and cos

Likes 1 person
Thanks for your comments. After staring at this for a good proportion of the day I noticed that α and β are complementary angles which enabled me to proceed in the following fashion:

[itex]sinα = \frac{x}{x-1} [/itex]

[itex]cosβ = \frac{x}{x-1} [/itex] complementary angle

[itex]cosα = \frac{-2x+1}{x-1} [/itex] pythagoras' theorem

[itex]sinβ = \frac{-2x+1}{x-1} [/itex] complementary angle

[itex]sin(α+β) = 1[/itex]

[itex]sin(α+β) = (\frac{x}{x-1})^2 + (\frac{-2x+1}{x-1})^2 = 1[/itex]

[itex]\frac{5x^2-4x+1}{x-1} = 1[/itex]

[itex]5x^2-4x+1 = x-1[/itex]

[itex]x^2-x = 0[/itex]

[itex]x(x-1) = 0[/itex]

[itex]x = 0[/itex] or [itex]x = 1[/itex]

but [itex] asin \frac{1}{1-1}[/itex] makes no sense

so [itex]x = 0[/itex]

However the process I have deployed here seems no less complicated than the process I was following earlier. Is there a quicker/simpler solution?

Really? I think the above is so much simpler than your first attempt, radicals and all. I want to kick myself for not seeing it earlier.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the equation "arcsin+arctan=π/2" used for?

The equation "arcsin+arctan=π/2" is used to find the value of the variable x when the sum of the inverse sine and inverse tangent functions equals π/2 radians.

2. How do you solve for x in the equation "arcsin+arctan=π/2"?

To solve for x, you can use the trigonometric identity sin(x)+tan(x)=1 to rewrite the equation as arccos(tan(x))=π/2. Then, you can take the inverse cosine of both sides to get tan(x)=0. Finally, you can solve for x by taking the inverse tangent of both sides, giving you x=0.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in the equation "arcsin+arctan=π/2"?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x. Since the inverse tangent function is undefined at π/2 radians, the equation only has solutions for values of x that make the inverse tangent term equal to 0. In this case, those values are x=0, π, 2π, etc.

4. Can the equation "arcsin+arctan=π/2" be solved algebraically?

No, the equation cannot be solved algebraically. Because the inverse sine and inverse tangent functions are trigonometric functions, they cannot be isolated and solved algebraically. The use of trigonometric identities and inverse function rules is necessary to solve for x.

5. Why is it important to solve for x in the equation "arcsin+arctan=π/2"?

Solving for x in this equation can be useful in real-world applications, such as in geometry and physics problems involving right triangles or circular motion. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between inverse trigonometric functions and their corresponding trigonometric functions.