Solving tan^2 x + 6tanx - 7 Algebraically over 0 and 2π

• Thread starter seiferseph
  • Start date
In summary, the original equation, tan^2 x + 6tanx - 7, can be solved algebraically by factoring it into (tanx + 7)(tanx - 1). The solutions are tanx = -7 and tanx = 1. However, when graphing the equation, it is important to note that the solution tanx = -7 is not within the domain of 0 to 2pi. To get a general solution, add n(pi) to the answer, giving x = [answer] + n(pi). This is because tan(x) is periodic with a period of pi, so adding multiples of pi will give valid solutions. Therefore, the general solution is x = pi
seiferseph
solve algebraically over 0 and 2pi. then give general solution

tan^2 x + 6tanx - 7

so i factored it and got

(tanx +7)(tanx - 1)
tanx = -7, 1

then do you reject the -7? why? i graphed it and only saw the two solutions from tanx = 1

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] x = arctan(-7), x = arctan(1) [/tex]

They both exist. Check if theyre in your domain.

You reject x=arctan(-7) because the answer isn't in the domain of 0 to 2pi. The other answer for this is arctan(1) + pi.

Knavish said:
You reject x=arctan(-7) because the answer isn't in the domain of 0 to 2pi. The other answer for this is arctan(1) + pi.

ok i get it, thanks! so you solve to get x = pi/4 + n(pi)
for a general solution, right?

Actually, it's just x = [answer] + n(pi) for tan(x); this is because tan(x) is equal at intervals of pi (or 180 degrees).

There's no reason why the solution for tan x = -7 should be rejected. tan(x) is periodic with period of pi, and all you have to do is add multiples of pi to the calculator value to get it into the required range.

If you plug in arctan(-7) into a calculator in radians mode, you'll get -1.429 rad. Just add pi to it, and you have a valid solution. Add pi another time, and you have another.

Sorry, I didn't exactly mean "rejected" as "invalid." I meant we couldn't use the solution as an answer to the problem.

And, yeah, the other answers to the problem are arctan(-7)+n(pi), where n=1 and n=2.

Last edited:
i was confused by that because when i graphed it i only got the two solutions, so there are 4 solutions?

1. What does it mean to solve algebraically?

Solving algebraically means finding a solution to an equation by using mathematical operations and properties.

2. What is the equation in question?

The equation in question is tan^2 x + 6tanx - 7 = 0.

3. How do I solve this equation over the interval 0 to 2π?

To solve this equation over the interval 0 to 2π, you will need to use trigonometric identities and properties, such as the Pythagorean identity and the double-angle formula.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation, but it is important to understand the steps and process involved in solving it algebraically.

5. What is the importance of solving this equation?

Solving this equation can help find the solutions or roots of the given function, which can be useful in many applications in science, engineering, and mathematics.