Help Me Express y=cos(4t)+sqrt(3)*sin(4t) in terms of y=A cos(u-v)!

• Thread starter Troll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
We are always here to help and guide you in understanding and solving problems.In summary, the conversation is about a user who has a Trig problem and is seeking help to express it in a specific format. Another user points out that the first user has posted too much information and needs to show some work before receiving help. The first user apologizes and explains their difficulty with the problem and promises to not overdo it in the future. The second user reiterates the importance of showing effort in order to receive help.
Troll
I have this Trig. problem. y=cos(4t) + sqrt(3)*sin(4t)
I'm supposed to express it in terms of y=A cos(u-v) :confused:
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sanitykey,

We appreciate all the work you put into that post, but unfortunately it is against Physics Forums Guidelines (which you agreed to) for you to do so much. Troll has to show some work on this problem before he can receive help. I've "soft deleted" your post and will restore it if Troll shows us that he is trying.

Sorry i got carried away, i understand i shouldn't of done so much. To be honest i found that problem quite challenging the method didn't come to me instantly (which i wasn't sure was right but i guess it is ok since you've looked over it Tom). What I'm trying to say is i'll try not to overdo it next time, i appreciate the time you're taking to modify my post Tom and I'm just glad to help :redface:

Troll, as Tom Mattson also mentions, before we can answer your questions,
you need to post what you have tried or where you are getting stuck. Then we can help point you in a successful direction.

What is the equation for y in terms of A, u, and v?

The equation for y in terms of A, u, and v is y=A cos(u-v).

What is the purpose of expressing y in this form?

Expressing y in the form of y=A cos(u-v) allows us to simplify and manipulate the given equation, making it easier to analyze and understand its behavior.

How can I determine the values of A, u, and v from the given equation?

To determine the values of A, u, and v, we can use the coefficients and trigonometric identities in the given equation. For example, A is the coefficient of cos(4t) and u-v=4t.

Can I express y in terms of other trigonometric functions?

Yes, y can also be expressed in terms of sin(u-v), tan(u-v), or cot(u-v) depending on the given equation.

How can this equation be applied in real-life situations?

This equation can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and analyze periodic phenomena. It can also be used to solve problems involving harmonic motion, waves, and vibrations.