Trig Equation

  • Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • #1
782
1
Looking for some help for this equation:

[tex]2 \csc x + 3 \sec x = - \sec x \tan x[/tex]
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
41,847
964
Generally, for a problem like this, the best thing to do is change them all to one function. Do you know how sec x, csc x and tan x are defined?
 
  • #3
782
1
HallsofIvy said:
Generally, for a problem like this, the best thing to do is change them all to one function. Do you know how sec x, csc x and tan x are defined?

I do. I can put it all in sine/cosine but I can't get anywhere from there.

[tex]\frac{2}{\sin x} + \frac{3}{\cos x} = -\frac{1}{\cos x}\cdot\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
  • #4
hotvette
Homework Helper
996
5
cscott said:
Looking for some help for this equation:
[tex]2 \csc x + 3 \sec x = - \sec x \tan x[/tex]

So, what's the question? Is this an identity that you are trying to prove, or are you trying to solve for x that satisfies the equation?
 
Last edited:
  • #5
782
1
hotvette said:
So, what's the question? Is this an identity that you are trying to prove, or are you trying to solve for x that satisfies the equation?

Solve for x.
 
  • #6
hotvette
Homework Helper
996
5
HallsofIvy had the right idea. You just need to go further. Which trig function could you multiply by to simplify the equation [itex]\frac{2}{\sin x} + \frac{3}{\cos x} = -\frac{1}{\cos x}\cdot\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}[/itex]?
 
Last edited:
  • #7
782
1
hotvette said:
HallsofIvy had the right idea. You just need to go further. Which trig function could you multiply by to simplify the equation [itex]\frac{2}{\sin x} + \frac{3}{\cos x} = -\frac{1}{\cos x}\cdot\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}[/itex]?

Sine! Thanks.
 

Related Threads on Trig Equation

  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
1K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
29
Views
5K
Top