1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig equations losing solutions

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    one of the questions is as follows:

7cosx +6sinx =2...the answer is required between 0 and 360 degrees.
    I first tried to tackle it using rsin(x+y) giving rsiny = 7, rcosy = 6...
    r = sqrt(85), y =49.4deg

sqrt85sin(x + 49.4deg) = 2...sin(x + 49.4deg) =2/sqrt85...
    x + 49.4deg =+/- 12.53deg
    this gives rise to 323.deg and 298.1deg...of which only 323.1deg is correct, the other answer is 118.1deg but I got this by checking the answers, scratching my head for a while and then using rcos(x-y) with just the positive square root of 85.

the book doesn't state which expression should be used and a different book implies that all of the 4 expressions will yield the same result in all situations...my question is how should I know which expression to use or is there something wrong with my working? (I do know with hindsight that the above question requires the cosine of x to be positive if the sine is negative and vice-versa)

(I also have noticed that the wrong answer I got is a rotation about 180deg of the correct answer...but I am sure that this is not the way I should be arriving at a solution)
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2
    i'm thinking maybe you could use trig identities? i think i may have seen one like it in my textbook but i was never very good with trig!!
  4. Oct 28, 2005 #3
    meh!...didn't subtract 12.53deg from 180deg :biggrin: hit me like a hammer driving back home...and could only get back to the computer now
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?