Solving 6sin^2 a - 11sin a + 4 = 0: Help Needed!

• Thread starter ditto_299
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to solve a specific equation with squared trigonometric functions and the need to isolate sin a to find the possible angles. The suggested approach is to replace sin a with y to solve the resulting quadratic equation.
ditto_299
So, I know how to solve them in general, but this one in particular, what do you do when the sin or cos etc is squared?

6sin^2 a - 11sin a + 4 = 0 , domain is from -360 until 360 degrees

we learned that, you need to isolate sin a, and then find the possible angles. I just need to know how to isolate sin a.

so i thought maybe this...

6 (sin a + sin a) - 11sin a = -4

but i don't know from here on...
please help! exam is coming up!

Physics news on Phys.org
ditto_299 said:
So, I know how to solve them in general, but this one in particular, what do you do when the sin or cos etc is squared?

6sin^2 a - 11sin a + 4 = 0 , domain is from -360 until 360 degrees

we learned that, you need to isolate sin a, and then find the possible angles. I just need to know how to isolate sin a.

so i thought maybe this...

6 (sin a + sin a) - 11sin a = -4
What? sin^2 a is (sin a)(sin a) NOT "sin a+ sin a"?

but i don't know from here on...
please help! exam is coming up!
Perhaps it would be simpler to replace sin a by y:
6y^2- 11y+ 4= 0. Can you solve that quadratic equation? After finding solutions, that is, specific values for y, you can solve sin a= y.

I would suggest approaching this problem by using the quadratic formula. Since the equation contains a squared term, it is a quadratic equation in terms of sin a. Therefore, we can use the quadratic formula:

x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a

In this case, our "x" will represent sin a. So, we can plug in our values for a, b, and c from the given equation:

a = 6
b = -11
c = 4

Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

sin a = (-(-11) ± √((-11)^2 - 4(6)(4))) / 2(6)

simplify:

sin a = (11 ± √(121 - 96)) / 12

sin a = (11 ± √25) / 12

sin a = (11 ± 5) / 12

sin a = 4/12 or 16/12

sin a = 1/3 or 4/3

Now, we need to consider the domain given in the problem (-360 to 360 degrees). We know that the sine function repeats itself every 360 degrees, so we can add or subtract 360 from our solutions to get all possible angles within the given domain.

Therefore, our solutions for sin a are:

sin a = 1/3, 4/3, 361/3, 364/3, 721/3, 724/3

Since we are only interested in angles within the given domain, we can disregard the last two solutions (361/3 and 364/3). So, our final solutions for sin a are:

sin a = 1/3, 4/3, 721/3, 724/3

I hope this helps you understand how to isolate sin a in a quadratic equation and find the possible angles within a given domain. Good luck on your exam!

What is the equation "6sin^2 a - 11sin a + 4 = 0" asking us to solve?

The equation is asking us to find the value(s) of "a" that make the equation true.

What is the significance of the "sin" function in this equation?

The "sin" function represents the sine ratio in a right triangle, which is a fundamental trigonometric concept used in many mathematical equations.

What strategies can be used to solve this equation?

One strategy is to use the quadratic formula, treating the equation like a quadratic equation in terms of sin a. Another strategy is to factor the equation into two binomials and set each equal to 0, then solve for "a" in each equation.

Are there any restrictions on the possible values of "a" in this equation?

Yes, since the sine function has a range of -1 to 1, the values of "a" must be within the range that allows for the equation to be true.

How can this equation be applied in real world scenarios?

This equation can be used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the forces and angles involved in various systems. It can also be used in navigation and astronomy to determine the positions of objects in space.