Trig Function Power Problem

Homework Statement

Find constants a, b and c such that
sin(∅)^5=asin∅+bsin3∅+csin5∅

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I expressed sin in its complex form (if thats what its called) and put it to the power 5, and then multiplied each bracket out one at a time, and got the correct answers, as checked by wolfram, but I was wondering if there is a quicker way to find the bracket to the power 5 other than just multiplying each bracket out 5 times with its self? This is probably a simple question but I never seem to be able to get the simple stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry for the wording; I don't know how to use latex, and it's really ugly just typed out.

Answers and Replies

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Using the exponential form of sin is probably the fastest way to work this out. Expanding [itex](e^{i\phi} - e^{-i\phi})^5[/itex] might be a bit simpler using the binomial theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

An alternative to using complex numbers is to use the identity for [itex]\sin(A+B)[/itex] to write [itex]\sin 3\phi[/itex] and [itex]\sin 5\phi[/itex] in terms of [itex]\sin\phi[/itex] and [itex]\cos\phi[/itex]. Then use [itex]\cos^2\phi = 1-\sin^2\phi[/itex] to write the whole thing as a polynomial in [itex]\sin\phi[/itex].

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. My tutor used the binomial theorem, but didn't mention it, probably because he's been doing it for so long. Thanks for your help :)