1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Function Power Problem

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find constants a, b and c such that
    sin(∅)^5=asin∅+bsin3∅+csin5∅

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I expressed sin in its complex form (if thats what its called) and put it to the power 5, and then multiplied each bracket out one at a time, and got the correct answers, as checked by wolfram, but I was wondering if there is a quicker way to find the bracket to the power 5 other than just multiplying each bracket out 5 times with its self? This is probably a simple question but I never seem to be able to get the simple stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry for the wording; I don't know how to use latex, and it's really ugly just typed out.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using the exponential form of sin is probably the fastest way to work this out. Expanding [itex](e^{i\phi} - e^{-i\phi})^5[/itex] might be a bit simpler using the binomial theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

An alternative to using complex numbers is to use the identity for [itex]\sin(A+B)[/itex] to write [itex]\sin 3\phi[/itex] and [itex]\sin 5\phi[/itex] in terms of [itex]\sin\phi[/itex] and [itex]\cos\phi[/itex]. Then use [itex]\cos^2\phi = 1-\sin^2\phi[/itex] to write the whole thing as a polynomial in [itex]\sin\phi[/itex].

4. Nov 18, 2011 #3
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. My tutor used the binomial theorem, but didn't mention it, probably because he's been doing it for so long. Thanks for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook