1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Function

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    Trig Functions

[tex]2y - 5 = \sin(144t - 45)[/tex]

How can I find when the object is at equilibrum? I know it's when y = 0, but how do I solve from there? I tried arcsine but it gives me a domain error.

How can I find the minimum in between [itex]0 \le t \le 10[/tex]?

Is the period of oscillation 0.625 degrees?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What makes you think equilibrium is when y = 0? The midpoint of the motion will be when sin() = 0.

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3
    Also, if you solve explicitly for y, you'll see that there is a vertical shift, meaning that the y-axis is not the midpoint of this graph. Use Doc Al's advice.

As for the period, I didn't check your numbers, but remember in a sine graph in the form of [tex]a \sin{(bx+c)}+d[/tex] that [tex]\frac{2\pi}{|b|}[/tex] is equal to the period. That's in radians of course.

5. Sep 15, 2005 #4
    Alright, I revised my answers given the replies so far. I think the period is 2.5 degrees, maximum height (the question is about a spring oscillating) is 7.5m and the first equilibrum is at t = 0.3125. Can anyone tell me if I'm correct?

I'm still having trouble with the minimum in between [itex]0 \le t \le 10[/tex]?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  6. Sep 15, 2005 #5

Doc Al

The period should be in seconds, not degrees. (144 is in what units?) Rewrite your expression like this:
    [tex]y = 2.5 + 0.5 \sin(144t - 45)[/tex]

If you understand what this says, you should be able "read off" the equilibrium position, the amplitude, and the maximum and minimum values of y.

7. Sep 15, 2005 #6
    Sorry, I meant at what times is the function at it's minimum between 0 <= t <= 10

As for the period, is it correct to say 2.5s instead of 2.5 degrees? I used what Jameson gave me: 360/|b| = T

I made the mistake of thinking the amplitude was 5 (no idea where I got that number, I've been juggling questions all night ;)... I see the max height should 3m, correct (assuming it's m vs t)?

8. Sep 16, 2005 #7

Doc Al

y will be a minimum wherever sin() is at its minimum, which is when sin() = -1.

If the 144 is degrees/sec, then 2.5s is correct.

Right. Since the sin function oscillates between -1 and +1, y will oscillate between 2 and 3.

9. Sep 17, 2005 #8
    Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?