Understanding Trig Function Behavior: Period, Amplitude, and Shifts

In summary, The given trig function has a period of pi, an amplitude of 3, a horizontal phase shift of 15 degrees left, and a vertical displacement of up 1. The maximum value of the function is 4 and the minimum value is -2, giving a range of {y: -2 <= y <= 4}. The domain is all real numbers.
aisha
Hi just need a little help with the behaviour of this trig function

[tex] y=-3\cos (2x-\frac {\pi} {6}) +1 [/tex]
I converted the pi over 6 to degrees and got -30

need to state the period, amplitude, max/min values, range, domain, horizontal phase shift, and vertical dispacement.

So far after rearranging the the equation i have

period= [tex] pi [/tex]
range= ?
amplitude=?
domain= all values XER
horizontal phase shift= 15 degrees left
vertical displacement= up 1
max\min ? :redface: not sure how to figure this out from the equation i tried graphing using the graphing calculator but it won't give me the values for max and min. Therefore I cannot solve for amplitude yet and same with range.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME JUST NEED HELP WITH THE MAX AND MIN THANKS :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
I got
max = 4, min = -2
amplitude = 3
range = {y:-2 <= y <= 4}

is this correct or have i done something wrong..please check and reply soon! :blushing:

what are the max and min values of the cos function?
Use that to figure out the max and min values of y.

aisha said:
I got
max = 4, min = -2
amplitude = 3
range = {y:-2 <= y <= 4}

is this correct or have i done something wrong..please check and reply soon! :blushing:
yes, those are correct.

is everything else correct too the period domain and shifts?

Yes - everything else looks ok.

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most common trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent, but there are also secant, cosecant, and cotangent functions.

2. How do trigonometric functions behave?

Trigonometric functions have specific behaviors based on the values of the angles they are applied to. For example, sine and cosine functions have a repeating pattern of values between -1 and 1, while tangent and cotangent functions have a repeating pattern with no upper or lower limit.

3. What is the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle of its graph. For example, the period of the sine function is 2π, while the period of the tangent function is π.

4. How do trigonometric functions behave in relation to each other?

Trigonometric functions are related to each other through various identities and equations. For example, the Pythagorean identity states that sin²θ + cos²θ = 1, and the double angle formula for sine is sin(2θ) = 2sinθcosθ.

5. How are trigonometric functions used in real life?

Trigonometric functions have many real-life applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. They can be used to calculate distances and angles, find the height of objects, and model periodic phenomena. Trigonometry is also essential in fields like astronomy, music, and architecture.