1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig/Geometry Help!

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    I am currently in dynamics and I know the only thing holding me back is understanding the position of angles, no matter how much time I spend attempting to figure out the trig behind most of these problems I never gain any ground. If anyone can simply and sweetly explain to me why the equation of relative motion (IMAGE BELOW) uses sin(30) in the x-direction and cos(30) in the y-direction, and also how is it possible to use 60° rather than the 30°.

I would be unbelievably grateful if someone can shed light onto what may be the only reason holding me back from the grade I deserve in this class! If you can draw a simple picture that would be beyond fantastic as I am absolutely a visual learner.

Thank you soo much in advance!!
    -Daniela

zujtkx.jpg

**The conceptual basis of the problem being one of relative motion I am having NO problem understanding. So please do not consider this a homework problem that I need help solving.**

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Daniela! :smile:
    The rule to remember is that it's always cos.

The component of a vector V (such as velocity or force) in a particular direction is always Vcosθ, where θ is the angle between the velocity and the direction.

So the car B is pointing 30° from the y direction, and 60° from the x direction.

So the y component is Vcos30°, and the x component is Vcos60°. :wink:

(obviously, the latter is also Vsin30°)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook