Graphs: A Better Way to Memorize Pi Fractions?

In summary: After reading this and doing some more research, I think I will just convert all my fractions to radians and keep it that way. In summary, using whole numbers on the x-axis instead of labeling them pi/2, pi, 3pi/2 can be confusing, and there is no better way to memorize these fractions.
CrossFit415
Couldnt we just use whole numbers to graph on the x-axis instead of labeling them pi/2, pi, 3pi/2 ? Because it gets confusing having to memorize which pi fraction goes in order. Is there a better way to memorize these? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CrossFit415 said:
Couldnt we just use whole numbers to graph on the x-axis instead of labeling them pi/2, pi, 3pi/2 ? Because it gets confusing having to memorize which pi fraction goes in order. Is there a better way to memorize these? Thanks

Do you mean like using degrees on the x-axis instead of radians? So the period of the sine function would be 360 and all the angles you mention above are nice whole numbers like 90, 180, and 270.

The answer is yes, we could do that. But if you think dealing with pi as you have mentioned above is a nuisance now, it is nothing compared with the nuisance you would encounter in calculus if you use degrees. The derivatives of sine and cosine functions work out the simplest when their argument is measured in radians. If you use degrees, all the formulas would have a nuisance factor compensating for that awkward choice. It is a similar situation that causes the natural logarithms (base e) to be the easiest to work with. If you haven't had calculus yet, you will have to wait to understand this, but you will see then.

LCKurtz said:
Do you mean like using degrees on the x-axis instead of radians? So the period of the sine function would be 360 and all the angles you mention above are nice whole numbers like 90, 180, and 270.

The answer is yes, we could do that. But if you think dealing with pi as you have mentioned above is a nuisance now, it is nothing compared with the nuisance you would encounter in calculus if you use degrees. The derivatives of sine and cosine functions work out the simplest when their argument is measured in radians. If you use degrees, all the formulas would have a nuisance factor compensating for that awkward choice. It is a similar situation that causes the natural logarithms (base e) to be the easiest to work with. If you haven't had calculus yet, you will have to wait to understand this, but you will see then.

I see. Hey thanks alot. I didn't know that degrees would complicate the whole process later on. But how would I memorize the pi fractions in order from x=0. I know that 45° = pi/4, 60° = pi/3 and 30° = pi/6. But the fractions that confuse me are the numbers front of pi such as 3pi/2, or 5pi/2 or 3pi/8.

Actually I think I got it now. I could always convert them into degrees and plot them on the x-axis then just write them down as radians. I didn't think about that. Thanks alot.

A lot of students that are just being introduced to trig functions start to stress about this sort of thing. But trust me when I say it'll be a short-lived stress if you practice early on. No one expects you to memorize the sine of certain angles off by heart, because there are much easier methods to quickly determine it.
4 years after studying what you've presented here and I still imagine the 30o 60o 90o triangle in order to find what sin(30o) is for example.

Just convert the radians to a common denominator if you can't determine which order to graph them in.

Of course you can graph trig functions with whatever numbers you want. 1 radian, 1 degree, etc. But it's easier to graph in radians, and usually you graph in known values. 1 radian is not a known value, but pi/2 radians is.

Last edited:
Just to clarify what mharten said about conversions, you can always start with [tex]\pi^c=180^o[/tex] where c means radians (but isn't commonly used)

so if you want to find what [itex]5\pi/4[/itex] is in degrees, then you multiply both sides by 5/4, so you get [tex](5/4)\pi ^c=(5/4)\cdot 180^o=225^o[/tex]

Thanks a lot!

1. What is the purpose of "Graphs: A Better Way to Memorize Pi Fractions?"

The purpose of "Graphs: A Better Way to Memorize Pi Fractions" is to provide an alternative method for memorizing the infinite digits of pi by visualizing and organizing them into a graph. This can make it easier to remember and recall the digits.

2. How does the graph help with memorizing pi fractions?

The graph helps with memorizing pi fractions by visually organizing the digits into patterns, making it easier for the brain to remember and recall them. The patterns can also serve as cues for remembering the digits.

3. Can this method be used for other numbers or fractions?

Yes, this method can be used for other numbers or fractions. The graphing technique can be applied to any number or fraction, making it a versatile tool for memorization.

4. Is this method more effective than traditional memorization techniques?

It depends on the individual, but for some people, this method may be more effective than traditional memorization techniques. By visualizing and organizing the digits, it can make it easier for some people to remember and recall them.

5. How can I access or create a graph for memorizing pi fractions?

There are many resources available online for accessing or creating a graph for memorizing pi fractions. Some websites offer pre-made graphs, while others provide tools for creating your own. You can also create a graph manually using paper and a pen or pencil.