Understanding Horizontal Trig Graph Translations

In summary, when translating a function with a horizontal translation, the new point will be at ##-2\pi + \pi/4##.
tg22542
Quick question guys..
I understand how trig graphs work (cos, sin, tan etc.). What I don't understand is when there is a horizontal translation of say, pi/4, I notice that the graph moves, but I don't really understand how to know exactly how far to move. For example if your HT was pi/4 and your graph was extended on the x-axis -2pi -> 2pi, and the original graph crossed once at -2pi, then where would the new point hit when you apply the translation?

Sorry if that was confusing, any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
tg22542 said:
Quick question guys..
I understand how trig graphs work (cos, sin, tan etc.). What I don't understand is when there is a horizontal translation of say, pi/4, I notice that the graph moves, but I don't really understand how to know exactly how far to move. For example if your HT was pi/4 and your graph was extended on the x-axis -2pi -> 2pi, and the original graph crossed once at -2pi, then where would the new point hit when you apply the translation?

Sorry if that was confusing, any help is appreciated!
Unless I have misunderstood your question if the original graph intersected x-axis at ##-2\pi## and the translation was ##\pi/4## to the right, then the graph would then intersect at simply ##-2\pi + \pi/4##. If it was translated to the left, then it would be ##-2\pi - \pi/4##, but this would be outwith your restricted domain ##[-2\pi, 2\pi]##

I'll help with an example.

##f(x) = x^2##
##g(x) = (x - 1)^2 + 3##

##g(x)## is a translated copy of ##f(x)##. How far has it been translated and in which direction? Draw the graphs of ##f## and ##g## if you are not sure.

Then try with ##f(x) = 1/x## and ##g(x) = 1/(x - 2) + 3##. Draw these graphs. Do they have the same shape?

1. What is a horizontal translation in trigonometry?

A horizontal translation in trigonometry refers to the movement of a graph horizontally along the x-axis. This affects the x-coordinates of the points on the graph, but the y-coordinates remain the same. The direction of the translation depends on whether the value added or subtracted from the original function is positive or negative.

2. How does a horizontal translation affect the graph of a trigonometric function?

A horizontal translation shifts the entire graph of a trigonometric function to the left or right. This means that all points on the graph are moved horizontally by the same distance, and the shape and amplitude of the graph remain the same.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative horizontal translation?

A positive horizontal translation moves the graph to the right, and a negative horizontal translation moves the graph to the left. This is because adding a positive value to the original function shifts the graph to the right, while subtracting a value shifts it to the left.

4. How do we represent horizontal translations in trigonometric equations?

Horizontal translations in trigonometric equations are represented by the value added or subtracted from the original function inside the parentheses. For example, if a sine function is translated 3 units to the right, the equation would be f(x) = sin(x-3).

5. What is the purpose of understanding horizontal trig graph translations?

Understanding horizontal trig graph translations is important because it allows us to manipulate and transform trigonometric functions to better understand their behavior and relationships. It also helps in solving real-world problems that involve periodic functions, such as sound waves and light waves.