Trig Help - Need Help Verifying This Identity

In summary, A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all possible values of the variables involved. To verify it, you can use algebraic manipulations and known identities to transform one side of the equation into the other. Common trigonometric identities include Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities, and they are useful in simplifying and solving trigonometric expressions and equations, as well as in real-world applications.
dec1ble
im trying to verify this identity - sin x + tan x / 1 + cos x = tan x - i get lost very easily and need the steps - can anyone help me? :yuck:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
multiply by cos(x)/cos(x)

hmm - can you simplify any of it for me in steps?

[tex] \frac{sin x + tan x}{1+cos x} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{(sin x + tan x)(cos x)}{(1+cos x) (cos x)} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{sin x \cdot cos x + sin x}{cos x (1+cos x)} [/tex]

can you take it from here?

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all possible values of the variables involved. It is used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.

2. How can I verify a trigonometric identity?

To verify a trigonometric identity, you can use algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities that you already know to transform one side of the equation into the other side.

3. Can you explain the process of verifying a trigonometric identity?

The process of verifying a trigonometric identity involves using algebraic manipulations and known trigonometric identities to simplify one side of the equation until it is equal to the other side. This process is also known as proving the identity.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

5. When should I use trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are useful in simplifying and solving trigonometric expressions and equations. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.