What is the depth of the notch in a block of metal resting on a cylinder?

In summary, the problem is about a block of metal with a 90 degree notch cut from its lower surface. The notched part rests on a circular cylinder with a diameter of 2.0 cm, and the lower surface is 1.3 cm above the base plane. The question is asking for the depth of the notch. To solve this problem, one can draw the triangles AOT and ABD and use trigonometry. The point D refers to the intersection of line BC and line AO.
ur5pointos2sl
ok as when I list all of my problems I just need ideas of where to start and go towards no the final answer though. The problem states:

A block of metal has a 90 degree notch cut from its lower surface. The notched part rests on a circular cylinder of diamter 2.0 cm. If the lower surface of the part is 1.3 cm above the base plane, how deep is the notch?

I have attached a file that shows the diagram. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Notch.jpg
    Notch.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
ur5pointos2sl said:
A block of metal has a 90 degree notch cut from its lower surface. The notched part rests on a circular cylinder of diamter 2.0 cm. If the lower surface of the part is 1.3 cm above the base plane, how deep is the notch?

Hi ur5pointos2sl! :smile:

(I can't see the diagram yet, but …)

If the apex of the notch is A, and the notch touches the cylinder at T and U, the bottom of the notch (part of the lower surface) is B and C, and BC meets AO at D, and the centre of the cylinder is O, then draw the triangles AOT and ABD, and use trig. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ur5pointos2sl! :smile:

(I can't see the diagram yet, but …)

If the apex of the notch is A, and the notch touches the cylinder at T and U, the bottom of the notch (part of the lower surface) is B and C, and BC meets AO at D, and the centre of the cylinder is O, then draw the triangles AOT and ABD, and use trig. :smile:

What exactly would the D be referring to? The line from B to O?

erm …
tiny-tim said:
… the bottom of the notch (part of the lower surface) is B and C, and BC meets AO at D …

1. What is a 90 degree angle?

A 90 degree angle, also known as a right angle, is an angle that measures exactly 90 degrees. It forms a perfect L-shape and is one-fourth of a complete rotation.

2. How do you find the missing side length of a 90 degree angle?

To find the missing side length of a 90 degree angle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) squared is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. What are the trigonometric ratios for a 90 degree angle?

The trigonometric ratios for a 90 degree angle are sine (sin), cosine (cos), and tangent (tan). In a right triangle, sin = opposite/hypotenuse, cos = adjacent/hypotenuse, and tan = opposite/adjacent. In a 90 degree angle, the sine and cosine values are equal to 1, and the tangent value is undefined.

4. How do you use trigonometry to solve for angles in a 90 degree angle?

To solve for angles in a 90 degree angle, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions. For example, to find the measure of an angle given the sine value, you would use the inverse sine function (arcsine). Similarly, you can use the inverse cosine (arccosine) and inverse tangent (arctangent) functions to solve for angles.

5. Can you have a 90 degree angle in a non-right triangle?

No, a 90 degree angle can only exist in a right triangle. In a non-right triangle, the sum of the three angles must be equal to 180 degrees. Therefore, if one angle is 90 degrees, the other two angles must add up to 90 degrees, making it an impossible triangle.