Solving Trigonometric Equations - 0 to 2pi

In summary, The first question can be solved by squaring both sides and using the trigonometric identities for tangent and sine. The second question involves solving a quadratic equation within the given range of theta.
camboguy
Question 1

sin theta = 2/3 tan theta < 0

sin2 theta = ??

how would i do this?
please help

____
Question 2

solve

2cos^2 theta - cos theta = 1 for 0 <= theta < 2pie

how would i do this one too?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rules of the forum are that you have to at least try the problem before we can really help. But I can help a little, on the first one square both sides and remember, tan(theta)=sin(theta)/cos(theta) and cos^2(theta)=1-sin^2(theta).

Last edited:
For the first question, you ought to know that [tex] tan \theta = \frac{sin\theta}{cos \theta} [/tex] and that [tex]sin2\theta = 2 sin\theta cos\theta[/tex]. The second question is just a quadratic equation.

1. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you first need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions or trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and find the solutions.

2. What is the range of solutions for trigonometric equations?

The range of solutions for trigonometric equations is usually the interval from 0 to 2π. This is because the trigonometric functions have a period of 2π, meaning that the solutions will repeat after every 2π interval.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to double check your solutions by hand.

4. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving equations include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving trigonometric equations. These include when the equation contains multiple trigonometric functions, when the equation contains trigonometric functions raised to a power, and when the equation has extraneous solutions.